Thread: New Generation Anchor

Threaded View

ZRC Galvanizing Compound

Paint-on cold galvanizing does not have a good rep.
    BUT this compound may be just the long lasting product we've been looking for to use on anchors and fittings. (They say) it is equivalent to hot dip!
    Chain and large rusty steel has to be sandblasted
    or cooked in acid baths at the galvanizers.

BUT if the part is irreplaceable and attached to the boat, hand sanding/grinding to base metal* and then applying this stuff may be just thing to erase a rust problem.
    They say it is equal to hot dip.

It is 95% zinc. The literature says the zinc is pure - not gathered from recycling.
    The 'secret binder' is epoxy based and doesn't encapsulate the zinc particles.
    The zinc is able to make the necessary electrochemical bond with steel.

www.zrcworldwide.com

I had a friendly and helpful exchange of emails with Lorraine Dewald from their plant in MA. ZRC is not available retail.
    She gave me a wholesale distributor's San Francisco phone who was happy to sell me a quart for around $37 ( published price) plus UPS. The stuff is non-haz-mat.
    It comes in other forms including a non-clogging aerosol version. Remember, these films will not work over rust. Rust has to be removed.*
    This source did not have the 1/2 pint cans I would have prefered.
    One assumes cans will sit around for long periods and small ones would be more convenient.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Quart can arrived - weighs 6#! Altho I was told the material was thick, when the can was opened and stirred up it really isn't any different than a heavy paint. The metal was not compacted in the bottom, easy to mix into the liquid. It won't need to be thinned. While the binder is said to be epoxy there is no catalyst to add. Straight out of the can like paint.
    It's dark gray like old galvanizing. They make a shiny new look ZRC also.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    *Phosphoric Acid (Naval Jelly) the gel removes rust easily- but slowly. Does a good job getting rust out of small pits and cracks. Anchors, anchor fittings and tools. Excellent for small jobs, that frozen brown crescent wrench, maybe even short pieces of chain. Rinses with water.
    For ZRC to do its thing it must have clean bare metal - but cosmetically I'm sure it paints over any existing hot dip just fine.
    Boshield Rust Free comes in an 8oz pump bottle spray. A phosphoric acid and alcohol mix - it's a water like consistency. Said to work fast and remove rust and rust stain from nearly anything: cloth (sails?), vinyl, fiberglass, chrome, s.s. and steels. Maybe it'll work on the anchor gear. Soap and water.
    Haven't tried it yet.
    imco
    Last edited by ebb; 03-09-2009 at 09:16 AM.