Thread: New Generation Anchor

Threaded View

Lightbulb Acco swivel pins

The problem is those old fashioned pin heads.
    Obviously you can use a big marlin spike in the big eye to get big purchase to untighten the pin.
    [Might be good to use some Lanocote when assembling.
    I'd grease the center bolt, too.]

Have some old chain shackles ('D' shackles) whose pins, instead of a squid eye, have a simple 90 degree half circle protrusion that has a small hole in it for wiring. Doesn't stick out of the side much at all. Maybe unscrewing it would be a problem because there isn't much to grab on to even with a visegrip. Looks good though!
    Believe that screwpins are 100% more safe than loose clevis pins. It's the kind of redundancy I want with chain and anchor.

The Peerless Chain guy on the phone suffered me as gladly as he could but didn't think there were any other pins available for the Acco fitting. Yet I'm pretty sure it's not the first time someone has complained about the lopsided inconvenience of that style screwpin. Those shacklepins are holdovers from the square-rigger days imco.

On some of those sleek but weak stainless fittings they put a pin in place with a hex socket. Nothing sticks out.

If galvanized shackles like primates followed some 'natural selection'
    they would progress to a square socket headed screwpin (rather than the usual hex)
    The heads would stick out a little from the body of the shackle
    and have one or two holes thru the rim of the 'cup', let's call it, where 4 or 5 turns of keeper wire could be passed.
    We'd use a socket wrench tool's 1/4" drive to turn the pinhead.

The Acco Chain Rode Swivel, as it is, IS a rather ungainly fitting that could be made more convenient and efficient if the pins were redesigned with modern anchor rollers and channel in mind. Might even look shipshape!

And those double WLL Alloy anchor shackles should have the same nice tidy pins as well.
    imco
    Last edited by ebb; 02-25-2009 at 12:26 PM.