+ Reply to Thread

Thread: epoxy resins on Ebay

Hybrid View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Thanks ebb

I need to stock up again. The last stuff I bought was this

http://boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?cat=41

Its $93 for a 1.5 gal kit, $156 for 3 gal.

Funny enough, that's the exact same price as Raka (which I've also used). Maybe its the same stuff

I saw this guy on ebay, a bit cheaper

http://www.jgreer.com/

$73/$132

Commanderpete
    The MAS brand 1:1 , saltwater resistent, etc. is the brand that interested me the most. They gave quite a description and analisys of their product including test results. If what a sales ad claims can be taken as fact
    Ebb's point about a website is well taken. I would think in this economy many smaller companies are reaching out to new sales tools and venues trying to just survive and Ebay is probally the most cost effective for world market exposure at minimum cost.
    Be interesting to see if anyone has first hand knowledge of any of these companies. Then again maybe the boatyard manger is correct, epoxy is epoxy. Thanks

High Strength Boat Building & Repairing Epoxy Resin Item number: 270175927982

This item listed on Ebay, is what I'm looking at for my recoring project. It appears to have the consistency without adding filler .

I know it's been said to mix to the consistency of peanut butter, however

the only peanut butter I know is Peter Pan crunchy, that's pretty thick

unadvice

carl291,
    One great thing about working with resin is making your own custom pastes and fillers.

Thin laminating epoxy will flow into all the little places. You want to do this to waterproof the excavated deck and to make sure the core material you are adding adheres everywhere.
    ......(you wet out your work first with a brush.)
    When you mix fumed silica (cabosil, aerosil) with runny epoxy you can thicken it into a non-runny gel
    as loose or thick as you want. When it is 'loose' you can slather it on with a brush.
    ......(when you put the core in you paste this gel on all sides - into the deck and on the core pieces - like frosting.)
    After the replacement core is in you'll be pasting the original deck pieces back on top of your sandwich with this same gell. Then you'll sand the recored deck smooth as possible with 40 grit.
    ......(you can mix some of West System's 407 fairing mix into laminating epoxy
    and make a nice easy to sand chocolate colored filler. It's a foolproof fairing material. West System imports this powder, it's the only thing I use of theirs.)

You can also mix into laminating epoxy (when you are thickening it with cabosil)
    some chopped strand fiberglass. Makes thickened stuff bulletproof. You might introduce a glob of this instead of core material where you know a stanchion base, cleat or track will be. You can add milled fiberglass powder to the epoxy and get a smooth something hard as a rock.
    You can add dust-like glass or phenolic spheres and make your own 407 fairing compound.

There are other things to add like paper flour or cotton flock (great for fillets) and ground walnut shells - you name it, or find it. The point is of course, thin laminating epoxy adds a great deal to the versatility, finesse, and fun to the rotton job.
    .....AND you can also lay down fiberglass cloth and xmat... and laminate, which you can't do with a paste.

imco already thickened peanut butter ain't going to work too good for a deck recore. I think you'll be disappointed.
    You gotta Rachel Ray.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-24-2009 at 09:07 AM.

+ Reply to Thread