Thread: Headsails

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Lucky Dawg is lacking a good sail inventory. I am looking into "new" used sails from suppliers per your recommendations (Atlantic, Bacon, etc). Curious about an all around genoa that I could use with a CDI Flexible Furler. I have the sail dimensions as below. NEW main and 135% genoa seem to be about 2200-2800+. 135, 155, ????
    I happen to be in a similar situation with my new boat. Because it is not good use of my time to buy a sail, trial fit it, only to find out that it is horribly wrong, I made up an excel spreadsheet that shows what it would look like versus my rig.

I have attached a version for the Ariel. It shows the mast and forestay, and plots the outlines of each of the named jibs (#1, #2, working, storm, drifter).

Have at it. I found it a useful tool to visualize if a particular sail was in the right ball park or not.
    There is even one sail that I have called "trial jib", where you put in whatever dimensions you are looking at, to compare it to the rest of the jibs.
    Also note that I wrote this with having roller furling installed. So there is a value called "DRUM", to take account for the tack of the sail not being on the deck. If you have no roller furling, just enter " 0 " for this value, and it will show all your sails tacked tothe deck.
    I just guessed that the drum takes up ~9 or so inches of luff length. Adjust to suit.

Enjoy!

-Keith
    C&C 35

PS, I still wish I could have kept my Ariel (along with the new boat). There are days when a simple main-jib-tiller setup would be lovely.

That being said, I am always looking for enthusiastic crew for wednesday night races on my C&C.
    Attached Files
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII