+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A-271 Michalla

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by hawkinsp View Post
    Alright, I've done it. I drilled a hole in the bottom of my Ariel. ... Then I took a 12" long 5/16" bit since I had read both 1/4" and 3/8" and also because this was the only bit I had that was 12" long and I had drilled with a normal bit (3" or so) and had drawn nothing but dry glass.... I then measured forward 2" from the rudder shoe, ... .
    Finally! I have been searching in vain for this post! Saw it eons ago, but couldn't hit the right search terms to find it when I needed it. (http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...4177#post14177 post #7)

Being in line to be the next owner to purposely drill a holes in his boat... I've read the manual and the many keel void posts here, and I was wanting some pictures and measurements.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Peter. Between your measurements and others suggestions, Lucky Dawg may look like swiss cheese when I'm done. It seems that a drain fitting as folks have suggested would make sense, but I am wondering if that fitting is necessarily preferable over just drilling a hole again next year.

On that similar subject... Mike, I was curious about your suggetion of a drain fitting at the bottom of the bilge (for draining rain water while hauled out.) How on earth would I estimate its position? I don't have an xray handy and the top of my bilge is glassed over... Do I just drill in the vicinity like a woodpecker??

Inquiring minds want to know.

One other option is to put an access plate to the keel void in the bilge. A-231 is currently fitted with an o-ring sealed waste deck fitting in the bilge to provide access to the keel void. I can check the void mid-season with a dipstick (and pump out if required, it's been dry for the 6 seasons since the last keel repairs)....

If you look in '#50 revival' ...post 16 shows a pic of where her drain was located.It was the deep,open aft end of the keel.Great for the offseason. http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...?t=1239&page=2

My approach was a bit more unconventional. Because the bilge on A-24 was not fiberglassed over, but simply filled with foam on top of the lead pigs, I was able to extract all of the junk from the void leaving a nice deep fully accesible bilge with no surprises. Once dried, cleaned and prepped, I coated it with epoxy ensuring its water tight integrity. No regrets, although it was a lot of arm straining grunt work. I posted lots of details. http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...ead.php?t=1558

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Mike, I was curious about your suggetion of a drain fitting at the bottom of the bilge (for draining rain water while hauled out.) How on earth would I estimate its position? I don't have an xray handy and the top of my bilge is glassed over...
    Kyle, I just finished winterizing this last weekend, and the last thing I did before I left the boat was to drill a hole deeper and farther back in my bilge to drain more of the water. I had a guess as to the location based on where my existing garboard drain is located. But, to determine the spot, I simply "sounded" the general area by tapping with the handle of a screw driver and listening for a hollow "thunk" instead of a sharp "ping". My new hole and future garboard drain location ended being almost exactly where A-50's is from Frank's post. Or here: http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...8&postcount=19, right at the aft end of the green in Periwinkle Bill's excellent diagram from the Keel Voids thread.

As far as a glassed over bilge, I'm afraid I am of no help there, since mine isn't.

PS. Love all the "Dawg" pics. Beautiful boat - those green topsides sure look nice!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thanks Mike. Don't know that they have the same impact on others, but I know I enjoy the pictures!

I appreciate all of the feedback on this question.

So I poked two holes in my keel. Silly marina pulled and set her on the trailer before I could get there... So on the port side, I drilled about 4 inches forward and about 2 inches up and also about 5 inches above that - with the thought of placing my shop vac blower against the upper hole. ..and got just a 1/2 a cup or so of water that kind of foamed/bubbled out. I guess I had expected a gush of sorts. I presume that is a good thing. The lower drilling felt solid most of the inch or so in, the upper after less distance clearly poked into a cavity. Just some bubbles came out of the top hole. Referencing Bill's picture http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...8&postcount=19 I'm assuming I was in the zone. Despite referencing your collective authority, the mainly powerboat maintenance oriented folks there thought I was nuts. "WhatEVER Dude... your boat..."
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 11-13-2007 at 02:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread