Thread: New Ariel Speed Record !!!

Threaded View

Scott,
    Nice proportions to the Coaster. You can see the forefoot is being radically carved away - toward the future. Could say the Ariel, which has the front cut away also, has it done in a much softer way. It is in the "S" curve that beauty lives! Looking at the more shallow draft Wanderer the cutaway seems not as radical, more like the A/C.

What I call lines are hard to locate for these boats. Even an amatuer like me can compare boats with them. The differences are small, yet some boats have it and some don't. It would take a practiced eye to see the differences using only lines drawings. Certainly these gentleman designed very similar boats.

I have wished at times that the Ariel was a 30 footer (we'd have a true galley AND a place for the head!) A 30' Ariel would probably have a slightly wider beam than the Alberg 30, or the Coaster/Wanderer. When I win the lottery I'll commission a full scale-up to 30/32' of the Ariel hull and deck. Same lines. And I'd put back the curvey sheer Alberg had in those lines!!! And she'd be rigged as a cutter.

The Ariel, once called a "Midget Ocean Racer" doesn't have a category for company, so it always seems to find itself with longer and heavier boats. It doesn't fit in the 'pocket cruiser' group. How about Ariel as a POUCH CRUISER?

The 'capsize screening' formula seems similar between the boats you mention.
    The numbers are three digit, so they relate somewhat, as the spread is small. If the capsize screen numbers were from 1 to 10, say, I would be more impressed with them.

By the way, in examining the lines for Alberg's design #33, (Pg 144 in the Ariel/Commander Manual) Alberg, or perhaps a later draftsman, has notated under the bow:
    LOA 25'7"
    LWL 18'6"
    BEAM 8'0"
    DRAFT 3'8"
    D/L = 354 (Did we catch the Great Draughtsman with a little too much Aquavit?)
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    Capsize Screening Formula
    According to Ted Brewer the CSF is "determined by dividing the maximum beam by the cube root of the displacement in cubic feet."
    "The boat is acceptable if the result is 2.0 or less, but of course, the lower the better. For example, a 12 meter yacht of 60,000 libs displacement and 12 foot beam will have a CSF number of 1.23, so would be considered very safe from capsize. A contempory light displacement yacht, such as a Beneteau 311 (7716lbs, 10'7" beam) has a CSF number of 2.14. Based on the formula, while a fine coastal cruiser, such a yacht may not be the best choice for ocean passages." Ted Brewer
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
    Let's put this into the formula.
    Let's agree that the displacement of the Ariel is 5200#.
    1 cubic foot of saltwater = 64#.
    5200# divided by 64# = 81.26 cubic feet.
    The cube root of 81.26 = 4.33137.(Thanks: google!)
    8 (the maximum beam of the Ariel in feet) divided by 4.33137 =

Don't forget to bring a deck of playing cards!
    (by the way if we were grossly overloaded at 6000# our CSF would be even better at 1.76. When does 'vanishing stability' come into play?)
    Last edited by ebb; 10-02-2007 at 07:26 AM.