+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Auto Pilots

Helping Hand

FWIW, I fittted a Simrad TP22 to #199 and it worked very well. Set the socket into the starboard cockpit locker cover with a 1/2'' thick hardwood block epoxied underneath for backing. Had the remote, and many times sat on the foredeck and steered. Also, I wired it to feed from the Garmin 76, and it would sail to a Go To point with no problems. A strong performer, it was dependable for me, and I found factory support to be, well, supportive. It worked best flying as large a genoa as possible, which the Ariel liked anyway, as that setup reduced it's weather helm.

I also had read the reviews, and was wary, but had no problems.

I also fittted it to my 30 foot Flyer, and it works ok, but with the outboard spade rudder, it has some difficulty with the weather helm under anything but light winds. Under power, it is fine.

ps: I DO miss that sweet Ariel.

Dan
    ()-9

Tiller Pilots

Sirocco has an ST1000 in an arrangement identical to the one in walberts post and it has worked GREAT so far

C'pete -

A "Crazy Ivan" - Hate it when that happens (or worse, *needs* to happen!). Reevers! Anyway...

Everything I have read in peoples reviews of their autopilots seems to come down to this: some *individual* units just suck, even if overall that particular model of A/P works well. There will be many happy reviews, then someone else will have had a unit that constantly strips gears, or the circuit board gets wet, etc etc...

I also remember reading somewhere on the 'net last year that the *cable remote* for the ST1000 was being discontinued - which bummed me out because I thought it was what I would get eventually, and some places sold it bundled for free with the a/p. There is still a wireless remote available, but the darn thing costs as much as - or, worse, *more than* - the autopilot itself.

I bet they call this "progress"...

By the time you buy a $400 electric a/p, and a $400+ remote, you are halfway-ish towards the price of a good windvane that has no circuit board and draws no power...
    Last edited by CapnK; 11-19-2006 at 04:48 AM.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Commander Pete

Hey Pete, what's the progress on the auto pilot?

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The new toy gets its first real workout this weekend. I'll get some pics.

Happy and safe holiday to all
    Attached Images  

any one thought of splitting the tiller with a fitting similiar to the one on the shaft. That way while under way with the Autopilot the tiller could be flipped up and essentially become 1/2 length (since you don't need the extra lenght for the AP)
    #97 "Absum!"

"Crazy Ivan" - had to look that one up... "Russian captains sometimes turn suddenly to see if anyone's behind them. We call it 'Crazy Ivan.'"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I'm happy with the autopilot so far. I'll post a follow-up report once I get a chance to use it some more.

It holds an excellent course when motoring. I find that steering while motoring is very boring.

I bought the Simrad TP10. I see these went up in price to around $320. I found one for $250 here (now $265).

http://eastcoastboatstuff.ecrater.com/

This business seems like one guy operating out of his garage, but I took a chance. Maybe its an old unit.

To install, you glass in a block of wood under the seat. You drill into the seat and mount the cup 23 1/2 inches from the centerline. You drill into the tiller about 18 inches up from the rudder post to mount the pin.

My Ariel class tiller happened to be just the right height at that point. Otherwise they sell mounting hardware.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 05-29-2007 at 12:11 PM.

CommanderPete

I'm using the same unit mounted on the STBD side. Did you run into any issues switching the Simrad brainbox to a PORTside install?

Bill

No, you just set it once for Port side.

I chose the Port side since I have the remote engine control box on the starboard side

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...1&d=1152217465

By the way, you also need a 2 prong electrical deck connection. You can use any brand. I bought the Simrad directly from them (#NSK100) It's a nice one, but pricey at about $45

Droools . . . . Maybe next year, But do me a favor, let us/we/me know how it does down wind wing-wing that and motoring it when I wish I had a autopilot and thing else is enjoyable.
    #97 "Absum!"

Say Cmdr Pete,

Any final insights or issues now that you've got it installed and been using it? I'm about sold on springing for one and need that final nudge.
    Kent

I've used it a few times under sail. I thought the performance was only fair. BUT, I haven't studied the owners manual. There's stuff in there about calibrating and adjusting gain. Guess I'll play around with it this weekend.

I ain't much of a gadget guy. Got an Ipod as a present. Took me 9 months before I tried to use it. Then I hit the wrong button and the menu reads only in Spanish.

Does play musica muy bueno

Been using the autopilot a bit. I adjusted the Gain up to 7 (out of 9). The higher the gain, the more power it uses.

Most times it will hold a compass course within 5 degrees. If conditions are a bit challenging (more wind and/or waves) it will hold a course within 10 degrees. I don't really find that acceptable if there is much boat traffic about. Having the bow fall off from one side to the other may tend to confuse and annoy approaching boats.

It will never be a great helmsman, since it can't anticipate, or react to every lift and header.

Still, an autopilot is a handy thing to have aboard. You get to take a break, although you still have to keep a proper lookout.

I will call him Sinbad

At least he doesn't question my authority
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 07-11-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks Pete...

Simrad TP10 with the gain to 7.. I'll give it a try again. I had been blaming the variance in heading on the play in my tiller!

what size headsail did you run for that test?

cheers,
    bill@231

+ Reply to Thread