+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel #24

Hybrid View

Thumbs up

Looks GREAT !! Thank you!! I have put off a restoration of my electra too long..it will happen this year. I have a long hole in the keel and your idea is much better and simpler than what I had planned.These sites really are trully valueable to all who use them. Thanks for sharing...keep up the great pics and work

Frank the idea was Don Casey's. He gives a detailed step-by-step procedure about how to fill a hole like this without inside access. When I read it it made perfect sense so I decided that was the road I was taking. The book is Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair. The repair is coming along nicely and so far I am happy with the results. I had half a mind to begin laying up some glass tonight, but I don't want to generate too much heat from the exothermic reaction curing epoxy creates.

BTW- This is a question for those who have laminated with epoxy. I decided to use cloth to laminate all of the layers for my repair due to the fact that I have seen other repairs done this way, I have a published source stating that this works, and it is what I have on hand. How many layers can I get away with laminating at a time so that there is not too much heat generated. Four? Ten? More?
    Last edited by Tim Mertinooke; 04-19-2007 at 05:11 PM.

I've done 7 with no problems using West Epoxy and cloth. I don't know at what point it goes "tilt" ??

+ Reply to Thread