+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A-271 Michalla

Hybrid View

Great project boat.Don't be afraid to drill a 1/4 in. hole in the keel to allow water to drain out.This is a fairly common problem as many of these old beauties have sat in storage for years.A small hole is a very easy / cheap patch. Water freezing and expanding can lead to a much more serious problem than a 1/4 in hole. I drilled 5 holes in #50's keel to drain all the water out.....easy fix.Leave them open as you do your restoration so that any 'new water' can drain.Patch near the end when you are ready for bottom paint. You'll find LOTS of info here...on all topics.Use the 'search button'...if that doesn't work...post any question.Have fun!!

Peter,

Welcome and congrats! We look forward to seeing your progress. (i.e post lots of pictures)
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Hello Peter

Welcome, My name is Joe Haney, I am the EXTREMELY fortuante owner of Sirocco. If you need inspiration or ideas just type her name into the search function. I cannot take ANY credit for her beauty as that belongs strictly to the venerabler Mr. Alberg and a fantastic fellow named Steven Airing in Maryland from whom I bought her. Steve made her what she is today and did a most excellent job of it. I understand what you mean about the wind in Wyoming, I've been there many times photographing the Union Pacific Rail Road. It is very much like here in Tulsa, OK. One minute you're becalmed and five minutes later you're even considering reefing your skivvies. I do wish you the best of luck with her!! And many congratulations on your fine choice of a fine boat!
    Joe

Thanks Frank:

I read your mail and the manual and went out this morning and drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the keel two inches forward of the rudder shoe. I drew nothing but dry fiberglass. I moved up about three inches from the bottom of the keel and drilled another hole and again drew nothing but dry glass. Am I looking in the wrong place? I was anticipating a gush of water but nothing. Upon closer inspection I also noticed that there are two screws that I am assuming hold the bottom of the rudder shoe in place that have backed out about 1/2 " and have been bent over to a 90 degree angle. Water seems to be dripping from those two screws. Would it be wise to remove those two screws and allow the water to flow from there? I will have to eventually replace those screws anyway as they are damaged. What advice might you have from here?
    Peter

#50 had 2 'wet spots'...1 was near the forward upward curve of the keel and the 2nd about 1/3rd back.Both released a lot of water...the forward about 2 cups !! Some one here may have experienced a similar problem at the shoe.If you drilled right through..at least now you have no worries of collecting water until the rest of your restoration is complete and it's 'bottom painting' time. When you go to patch the holes...grind a 'dish shaped' erea with the hole in the center..start with a small circular piece of cloth,then slightly bigger..then bigger etc.Precut them. I put 6 or 7 layers on.Takes very little cloth,epoxy or time.I sanded the erea down once it had 'set up'..applied a marine filler..then sanded smooth and painted.Was one of the easier jobs on #50. I'm sure some one will advise on the shoe but it sounds like the screws need replacing in any event.Curious...how thick was the glass at that erea ?? Take pics of your work...EVERYONE likes to see a project as it unfolds. Mike Goodwin may have thoughts on this..his opinions are worthy....he has a lot of experience. Have fun.

+ Reply to Thread