Thread: New Generation Anchor

Threaded View

Entered the above post twice. Sorry...
    Went to the Manson Supreme site to kind of check out my observations. I agree pretty much minus the hype. And also minus actual use. Need a bunch of observations by users, mostly in our boat-size range.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

The advertising copy writer for the Supreme, while he or she credits the French Spade with starting the 'new generation' anchor evolution, does not understand that the Manson anchor is not a spoon. If I dipped my new anchor in a pan and tried to lift water out with the blade it would not work. Will not hold water. The M.S. is not a spoon anchor like 95% of the others and that is a huge difference imco in its deployment. And imco is the reason why it will work better and more intelligently than any spoon or cup shaped anchor will.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

[Went back to the Mocna (so spelt at another anchor forum probably to avoid kiwi vender popups - we'll see...) site to see if anything had changed in the video. Nope.
    Apropos the obvious imitation danforth in the Adam pic above, the claw and plow anchors used in the SUV pull test are both (admitted in the video text)imitations of the style. The claw was not a Bruce and the plow not a CQR. Would the real ones have performed differently? Uh-huh. Well, so WHAT is authentic testing? Let's use authentic anchors for starters.
    Wonder if the 1944 danforth style anchor (it doesn't say Danforth on it anywhere) I have is close to what Mr Danforth invented?
    I would (briefly) like to have a Mocna to compare with the Supreme. In images the Mocna fluke looks proportionally longer, ie narrower. It really is more of a spade shape than a spoon, or maybe a pan shape in that it will hold material in its concave top. The hoop attachment looks identical to me to the Manson. I might have ordered a Mocna earlier on in this exercise if it wasn't for that strange video.)
    Last edited by ebb; 07-27-2006 at 04:01 PM.