Thread: Standing Rigging

Threaded View

Mike, yeah,
    Simply said, stainless steel fatigues.
    Silicon bronze and galvanized iron chainplates do not.
    On the Pearson Ariel Auguistine restoration page you will discover that Scott repaired and replaced his chainplates insitu with 316.
    316L is possibly the only commonly available stainless that you could use to replace the original manganese brass plates. You can easily find a shop to fabricate stainless.
    Silicon bronze is expensive. I don't know how it compares in price to passivated 316. Probably around the same.

I don't see how you can get a waterproof installation doing it the original Pearson way. I think sailing the boat HAS to loosen the plates. If salt water gets down into the rubber caulk that surrounds the plates coming ouit of the deck, that will be a condition that s.s. will fail in, eventually. My opinion.

Silicon bronze does not corrode in salt water, or if painted or partially covered in fiberglass or rubber even if water migrates thru. Size for size I do not know how S.B. compares to iron. Since it's mostly copper I would go up one size. Original 3/16", 40 year old, A/C plates that suffer from galvanic corrosion are, in my opinion, not true bronze,
    Last edited by ebb; 07-22-2006 at 09:41 PM.