Quote Originally Posted by ebb
The Rocna, an upstart version of the Manson with a plain shank.

Get your facts straight please! The Rocna design first registered in New Zealand: August 2004.

In fact we talked to Manson briefly about having them produce the Rocna under license, but we got nowhere. Six months later we saw the first photos of the Supreme.

It is worth taking a look at Manson's range of product to see if you can find a single original design.

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos
Let's give it a try.

'Ronca, Ronca, Ronca' (tapping heels together).
*Poof*, here i am.

Spelling the name properly might help next time if you want a faster response, but I won't hold that against you, it is a strange one

There is very little feedback on the net. Much is based on cruisers saying how much they love their Bruce or their Bull or their CQR. Since 338 is not sailing yet, thought I'd ask. Get an update.
As far as any of the new anchors are concerned, you will not see much feedback at all for a while. Even once there is a good number of people out there using them, it will take time for experience to build up, and opinions to form.

As far as particular people telling you how great their plow, claw, Danforth, or whatever is, it is wise to be cautious. Very few people have sufficient experience with all types to make valuable conclusions. Furthermore, saying that one has had 20 years of excellent experiences with X anchor may prove that anchor X is a good one, but this is also a little like saying one has had 20 years of excellent experiences with candles, and why bother with that electric lighting thingy.

(Very interesting that Manson also makes a copy of the CQR and it is featured on their web site. They have a little movie of their best seller setting in the sand without a bit of fuss. Wonder why?
Watch our video on our website to see the same anchor skidding along the sand and not setting at all.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany
Went and checked out the Manson website, Ebb. Looks pretty good, very similar to the Rocna. Hate it when a company won't put a price on their product! How much does a 25# Manson cost? I bet it's close to the Rocna's price, a bit more than the 17# Bulwagga I intend to get later this year...
No, it is quite a bit cheaper.

You get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany
Wish that the marinesuperstores would have some "try before you buy" anchors for our own testing. That way we could do our own testing, in our usual ancoring grounds, and see how the things work in real life...
Well, we will offer a money-back guarantee on request. If you returned the anchor claiming you were unimpressed, we would charge you for re-galvanizing, which is only ~$1/Kg, but otherwise refund you in full. We don't offer it by default to prevent people "borrowing" anchors.

I'm skeptical about the "dual shank" design in terms of the stress points where shackle would bear on the anchor. I talked with the Navico (Plastimo) importer about the photos on the Manson site ("Dual Shank Anchoring - How It Works") purporting to show a Supreme being pulled out from coral (looks like a piece of concrete to me) with the shackle slid down in the "tripping" position. I said, it looked to me that the point of the spade would still be pulled upward because the pull is still on the lever arm of the shank.
The full length slotted shank is an attempt at stealing some of AnchorRight's market share down here in New Zealand and Australia. AnchorRight produce the SARCA, basically a heavily modified plow, the primary selling point of which is the slot.

Although popular with small boats, the SARCA has done terribly in reviews, testers generally having problems with the slot. As you suggest, Manson have not properly copied it, and their version would not work even as well as that.

We have a bit more info about that on our website under "features & details" (bottom of 2nd page).