Thread: Fiberglass Repair Advice Neede

Threaded View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Question Fiberglass Repair Advice Neede

The boat has six partial bulkheads (where the chainplates are attached) that are fiberglassed to the hull and the shelves. One or two of mine had detached or develped a crack in the fiberglass at the attachment point. I'm in the process of re-attaching them (re-tabbing them I think its called)

First I sanded down the layers of old paint to get to the fiberglass. Even this was not easy. I went from 80 grit, to 60, to 36 then used a wire wheel. I ground off any suspect fiberglass.

The plan is to apply overlapping layers of fiberglass tape over the original fiberglass with epoxy.

Two questions:

Even after this rough treatment, the original fiberglass still feels smooth to the touch. Will the new fiberglass form a good attachment to it or do I need to do something more?

Is it worth it to buy e-glass or s-glass for this project or will regular 9 oz tape do the job nicely?

Let me tell you, this is no fun project. Even with a tyvex suit and respirator, I'm still itching like a mental patient.

Here is the scene part way through the destruction process. I'll get some better photos this weekend.
    Attached Images