I am considering putting Sea Smoke into a charter fleet in Rockland, ME for next summer. There are 3 things that I need to do to get her into compliance, 2 are easy and the 3rd seems to be more difficult. I need to update the Depth sounder, the rocks under the Penobscot Bay have a tendency to be hard! This isn't much trouble, it should be done pretty soon. I need to install a high volume bilge pump. Sea Smoke is quite dry, the current rotary bilge pump removes the little water that makes it's way into the bilge. If I am allowing others to use her, however, I think a Gusher or similar is in order. I plan to mount this in the Starboard cockpit locker, with the handle coming out just behind the bridgedeck. This should be operable for the cockpit or with a bit of leaning, from the cabin.
The stickler is updating the sanitation facilities. Sea Smoke currently has a marine head with a direct overboard discharge,. The coast Guard frowns on this, and if she is in charter, I'll need to bring her into compliance. Has anyone retrofitted their Ariel or Commander to meet current guidelines? Wher does on locate a Hholding tank, what size is appropriate, Y Valve installed, what kind of sewage pump etc., etc., etc. I look forward to hearing any ideas that this esteemed group might have. Fair Winds and Big Sheaves, Thomas Howe.