This is a 'point by point" story of today's efforts to install a rigid vang.

First, I arrived at the boat without the instructions! When Steve showed up to help, I left him with a mission to find some 1/2" x 20 fine thread fasteners while I headed back to base.

Second, Steve was only able to get hex headed (not round headed) fasteners with the desired fine
threads. So we decided to go ahead and use them now and replace them when the round heads become available. Doing that meant that we would not interfere with today's installation progress.

Third, but before we could proceed, one block on the mast had to be removed and the power cable for the steaming light on the mast had to be pushed back into the mast cavity and then pulled through another opening since both interfered with the installation of the vang bracket.

Fourth, we strapped the vang base bracket to the mast using hose clamps. Worked great.

Fifth, now we had to remove the mainsail as it was interfering with the installation process. Took it to the club house lawn, removed the battens and folded it for storage.

Sixth, raised the boom to the required 35 to 40 degree angle and fractured the gooseneck fitting on the boom. The end of the goosneck through which the bolt on the toggle fits, broke from being pressed against the mast. I guess it was pretty weak and brittle after 40 years. But, sure glad it happened at the dock rather than out sailing (which so often is the case).

Seventh, Steve has taken the goosneck fitting home and will machine a new center piece from ss. He hopes to have it ready by Saturday so we can install and then test it. Once that is done, we will continue with the vang installation.

Eighth, obviously, this means we will miss the 2nd Half Opener on Saturday. (And I just finished entering the YRA marks into the GPS so we would not miss #24 this year)<

This story points to my procrastination in getting around to installing the vang. All these problems should have occurred a couple of weeks ago. But, such is life with a Plastic Classic!

Capt Bill of the O'l Yeller