+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So I buy this Ariel

So I buy this Ariel

It looks like #370 is going to find herself in my willing and yet-to-be-determined-capable hands. I won't go into motivation here; those of you sick and demented enough to have put yourself in a similar situation full well understand the deranged and highly unstable mindset of one who would subject themselves to the vagaries and demands of restoring a classic beauty like the Ariel. Suffice to say that my end purpose is not simply to have a beautiful boat which sails well, The Plan is to take said beauty across oceans to Far Away Places in style, comfort, and safety. That's all a bit down the road, at least a couple of years away, more likely 4-5.

In the meanwhile and as preparation for all of this, I've pored over as many threads as I could find on restorations. I've taken up list making - lists of questions, lists of materials, lists of suppliers, lists of tasks real and imagined that will need to be done. If this keeps up, I will need a List of Lists.

Being of an advanced age (coincident or not, the same as my own), #370 has the usual bevy of good old boat problems. Structurally foremost to my mind is that her deck upper skin no longer gets along with what used to be the balsa core material and the deck bottom skin. From what I am told (not having seen the boat in person), the divorce is quite successful, and the involved parties have only proximity in common. I am assuming ahead of time that I will be recoring the entire deck - I think it is a prudent assumption to have, based on my reading here. It is a situation that must be remedied before moving on to the other items needing attention

I'm sure I will have many, many questions with which to bother you all as I put life back into #370. My questions right now are fairly simple ones, to help me get a grasp on the idea of the restoration as a whole. I'm hoping that those of you who have already walked this path may let drop some pearls of wisdom for me to add to my growing stockpile of information overload. I appreciate in advance any help or advice you have to give. Here are some of my current wonderings...

I plan to make the refit and refurb of #370 comprehensive and complete, but am not like the owner who had allocated a budget of $30K for his restoration. #370 will be outboard powered, her systems will follow the KISS principle whenever and wherever possible. For example, I plan to forego the expense, maintenance, size, and design complexities of a marine head and holding tank system, preferring instead the simplicity of a Porta Potti (also in consideration is a marine composting head). There will be no shorepower hookups or wiring - everything will run off of 12V. I may or may not install a freshwater system and associated plumbing, including through-hulls, but I lean towards may-not. Basically, I have found that my needs aboard are rather monkish. Therefore, in my refit, I expect that my major outlay of cash will be for 3 things: sails, hardware associated with said and the rigging, and safety equipment. I can price out the sails and hardware for a rough estimate of what my costs will be, however, as I work up my pre-purchase budget, the one big-ticket item which keeps coming to mind are pulpits. Those of you here who have had bow and/or stern pulpits - would you care to share what your expenses were in getting these fabricated?

Those of you who have done a deck recore - can you ballpark an amount of resin it will take to complete the job? I have prices on core material, and am fortunate in that I can get glass and resin at wholesale prices, but am wondering how much I might be needing, in advance. I have no idea, really, what it is going to take - 5 gallons, or 50? Your opinions and experience on this would be appreciated.

This last question is nebulous, and I know the answers must as a result be highly speculative. Right now, as I sit here undusty and not cursing at a stripped out bolt that won't turn, it seems that I'll be spending $7-8K on the basics of the refit, including a set of sails (main, jib, genny - $2.5-3K) and an outboard($2-2.5K). I expect cost overruns to be as much as another $2K. Are these rough ideas out of line with your experiences?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. #370 is about 500 miles away from where I currently sit, and it may be another couple of months before I can go get her and start the whole process of restoration. I'm using this inbetween time to learn as much as possible to try and figure out what my best plan of attack will be.

Hope you all had a good holiday!

Noble man with a good boat - #370

Epip,
    It was Tony, I think, who said that what you are about to embark on is like building a boat from scratch - only harder. Hope you have an all-weather cover for her.

Congratulations! Here's to a rapid refurbishment.

S K A L ! !

Epiphany,

From my time lurking on the Compac site, I know you keep a fine boat, and #370 has found herself a good steward - and I'll be looking forward to your restoration website!

In the meantime, I'll offer up prayers to Poseidon for poor old #248 you passed on... And in the end, maybe the money grubbing marina owner will get his just retribution for allowing that poor soul to remain alone and unloved...

Congats!
    Mike

PS. Ebb, kind sir, we're still waiting on your latest pics!
    Last edited by mbd; 12-27-2004 at 12:00 PM.

MBD - "PS. Ebb, kind sir, we're still waiting on your latest pics!"

Photo shoot is being planned for the first of the year . . . on a sunny day

Ah Master Bill, speaking for the boatless and frozen folk, we are most appreciative... Mike

#370's name?

Is number 370's current name "Nemisis"?
    Is it in Deale, MD?

If so, you and I should conspire to help each other restore our Ariels. Mine is in row "N" at the western-most end. The mast is unstepped, and she is under a blue tarp, but you will see her there.
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Ebb - Thank you, yours is one of the projects which has served as inspiration, and will serve as reference. Been meaning to ask about updates on your progress, if you've been able to work on her since August, and now we have the answer... I imagine I will have to shelter her while doing the deck recore, but I don't know how extensive it will be. Our weather is such that at times we will have several weeks without precipitation - working on her enclosed in a weather window like that would be like working in an oven. Good for bread, but not so good for grinding glass.

Mike - Thank you for the compliments! I may yet go to that yard and offer the guy some money to strip #248 of any salvageable parts. In that way, at least part of her would live on. She has the original winches, lots of teak, the spar has mast steps, etc... Who knows what I might find under, in, and around her.

mrgnstrn - That is indeed #370, but I'll be bringing her down to SC where I live to work on her. I will most definitely have to take a look at your Ariel when I go up there. In fact, I'll plan on getting in touch with you prior, and sharing what my plans will be. Perhaps we can get together for a cold beverage and some Ariel talk.

Cool Need moaning chair

"In every amateur boatbuilder's shop there should be a "moaning chair."
    This should be a comfortable seat from which the boat can be easily seen and in which the builder can sit, smoke, chew, drink, or swear as the moment demands.
    Here he should rest and think about his next job.
    The plans should be at hand and here he can lay out his work.
    By so doing he will often be able to see mistakes befor they are serious and avoid the curse of all amateur boatbuilders starting a job befor figuring out what has to be done to get it right."

Boatbuilding (Intro), Howard I. Chapelle

('amateur' is never used disparagingly to describe the builder or restorer of a boat. We are the Lovers of the art. We are the true believers, we give life to our boat. We look askance at most professionals at least to make sure they're doing their job right.)

Augment your four dollar resin moaner with good quality drink.

+ Reply to Thread