+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander 94 - Spinnaker Pole Dimensions

Commander 94 - Spinnaker Pole Dimensions

I recently purchased a Commander, but the spinnaker pole must have been lost over the years and was not part of the purchase. I figured spinnaker poles are fairly universal if the dimensions are consisitent with the original design.

Would anyone happen to have dimensions for a Commander/Ariel spin pole?

The ACYA Owner's Manual shows the factory wood pole to be nine feet four inches long with a two and a quarter inch diameter. A ten foot by three inch aluminum pole is what most use here in the SF Bay.

I believe a boat's spinnaker pole length is determined by the "J" measurement in it's sail plan, which is 114" between the spinnaker pole's jaw openings on our boats. Although a longer pole would work fine, maybe better, it may influence your boats handicap rating. I encourage you to get a pole and fly the spinnaker, really fun to do on the Ariels and Commanders, teamwork!

Thank you both for your comments. I noticed Bill pulled his info. from the Owner's Manual which I will get an order placed for in the next few days.

PHRF rules on the Chesapeake call for a pole no longer than the J. I'll bet the factory pole fit the rules.

What is the "J" dimension referrenced? would that be a dimesion on the spinnaker?

The "J" is the distance from the mast to the jib tack on the deck. As pointed out by Ariel 109, using a ten foot pole may get you a slight penalty in your handicap rating, although the assumptions for the Ariel and Commander under PHRF give the boats a great handicap -- 258 here. Check your local rating committee.

Very good. Thanks for the information. I'll be storing my boat at a yard that scraps out boats that are too far gone for reconditioning and keeps a pretty good inventory of hardware, parts and pieces that it removes from boats being disposed. I've been interested in picking through their bone pile anyway.

Just to help here are a few routine dimensions..........
    I—distance between top of forestay and the foredeck
    J—distance from forestay chainplate to mast
    P—distance from boom to top of mast
    E—length of boom

+ Reply to Thread