+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracked masthead

Cracked masthead

Well, after sailing C-229 for 2 years we finally broke down and got a spinnaker. After reading about how to rig the spinnaker halyard, I purchased a bale from Rig-rite. We finally got around to taking the mast down this morning and discovered that the masthead was broken where the front stay is attached.

Well, there is supposed to be a picture there but I can't seem to figure out how to insert one. I need help on that.

But, to make a long story short, I need a new masthead.
    Any idea where I can find one? Do they make new ones? Will I need a 2nd mortgage to pay for it? Any help is very appreciated and if you can tell me how to insert a picture I would be happy to do it.Name:  071307 172.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  551.8 KB

Did I do it? Is there a picture there? WooHoo! I did it! Forget the picture help. Now I just the bad news about a replacement masthead.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I'm thinking bolt on a sleeve over the damaged area. Sort of like the tricolor holder in this photo, but bigger.

I saved this picture, forget whose boat it is
    Attached Images  

Thanks for the picture. Looks like something I could do. Does this mean I'm out of luck trying to find a real replacement?

As with most other hardware for the mast, suppliers are no longer around. It's custom time . . .

Thanks for the bad news. I was kinda prepared for it anyway. The aluminum sandwich looks like a good solution. Or, there's an abandoned Commander at a marina at the other end of the lake that might not need theirs anymore. If it was to mysteriously disappear...

You might also try the folks parting out C-035 on ebay. Pat's email is amreja@att.net. Their ebay-based company is big lake boat parts http://stores.ebay.com/BIG-LAKE-BOAT-PARTS. That part might be old/deteriorated, but it might be worth a shot and spare the custom option for a couple years.

I'm lucky enough to have a foundry nearby that is in the business of recreating parts from broken originals.. Mystic River Foundry has done work for IYRS and other folks who need one-off's castings. There may be a similar shop near you. If you can remove the old part from the mast and epoxy it back together it can be used as a plug in a sand mold.

You might want to google for foundrys in your area that do architectural or sculptural work in aluminum...

here's mystic river's site (take a look at their unusual projects list.. they've done a B17 ball turret from a corroded original!)
    http://www.mysticriverfoundry.com/

these guys have the patterns for all of the Rostand hardware for our boats. They may also be interested in adding the mast head to the catalog... (I've just ordered a new tiller head from them)
    http://www.historicalarts.com/

good luck! We'd all love to hear how the process goes..

by the way... Ebb's approach below is the best long term solution from both a cost and durability basis...
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 07-14-2007 at 07:08 AM.

Ballenger masthead

Anyway, there is an other option.
    You do hear of these old fittings getting 'crystalized'. But that's hearsay and I'm not sure that I've seen actual proof of this unless there is plenty of corrosion supporting it. The fitting on 338's mast was pretty ugly and pitted. Patching to an old casting might not be all that succesful.

Little Gull had a new crane mast top fabricated by Ballenger Spar Systems of Watsonville CA. Buzz would have the pattern still at hand. It would be a semi custom job so you could also get exactly what you desire. They made a pretty exact welded copy of the original for 338. The spinaker bail is an added loop of stainless rod.

1-831-763-1196
    www.ballengerspars.com
    It's probably expensive, but the piece will be done professionally with marine aluminum, annodised, and perfect - and they won't stiff you.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-14-2007 at 07:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread