+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Below decks fuel tankage

Question Below decks fuel tankage

I tried this post burried at the end of an old FS add I know better then that.

The original 21 Gallon tank sounds like it would be nice to have, I looked at a Triton tank (24 gallon) that is monel but mounts about where my ice box would go.

Anyway, I have searched the archives, and still have questions.

I am looking to move my tankage below to;

- Free up the lazarette so I can pull my motor while sailing (I can not currently remove my 6hp Yamaha and lay it in the lazarette since my tank takes up 1/3 of the room)

- Lower my center of gravity (ok, so only slightly, but lower).

- Increase my tankage for crusing.

I currently have a 13 gal tank in the port side of the lazarette, which is more then enough for the river (way more) but much less then I want on multi-day trips when I have to motor (like ICW trips).

I am looking at mounting this under the cockpit;

Link to flea-bay add for 24 gallon tank

What say the distinguished panel?

The drawing in the manual of Pearson's tank placement has it under one of the cockpit seats (in the locker, but up against the seat bottom). Probably could put one on each side . . . See page 155 of the manual for Pearson's tech drawing of the tank location and support, and page 160 for the tech drawing of the "Ariel - Commander 15 gal Monel fuel tank." (04-21-65)

Hear ye hear ye!

If anyone has in their posession, or should happen across the original monel tank, I would like to find one. I actually would like to mount 2 of them just as Bill suggested.

I am looking at fabricating something to fit under the cockpit floor as a plan 'B' but would prefer to find the original tank.

Any leads?

Question How about a Triton tank?

Any guesses as to if this would fit?

Description

Used monel gasoline tank from a 1967 Pearson Triton sailboat. 24 pounds of monel alloy. Extremely resistant to corrosion and does not react with fuels. The tank is over 30 years old and looks great. Dimensions 32 3/8 x 18 1/2 x 16 1/2 at the extremes. Tank fit under a seat against hull. If you need more dimensions let me know. The angle on the big side is 25 degrees and its 15 degrees on the small side. The tank is .037 gauge (I think 20 gauge) 1 1/2 inlet and 2 smaller fittings. One fitting has a piece broken off but can easily be replaced.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Think Bill has the right idea. Don't think gas belongs below deck unless it is bulkheaded from the living/cooking area. Best place for gas would be under the cockpit seats in lockers that are open to the cockpit only.

The seats at the top corner are strong. You could cut the riser/front which is quite thin and glass in a waterproof box that would hold an OB tank or two. Not as simple as that, but it could be done. You'ld loose stowage for all the other stuff.

Tank under the cockpit IMCO would have to be completely bulkheaded off from the salon and the bilge. I'ld worry about the bilge! Unless someone knows how to make connections and transfer foolproof, in a bouncy/tippy sailboat there are more opportunities for trouble than a powerboat. Your safety setup would be very much like a propane installation but without the gravity outflow scupper. Vapor-proof bulkhead fittings, blowers, sensors senders sniffers, battery stuff like that. Not to mention the gas-in set up. USCG gas fill, hoses & clamps, waterproof venting, inspection/access plate(s) - all openings have to be out the top, maintenance access hatch into the area. Can tell it's just my Opinion.

Extra gas might be stored in the center of the cockpit on the sole disguised as a seat. I believe only diesel can be tanked below deck. Good luck.
    Last edited by ebb; 12-26-2004 at 07:30 AM.

diesel tank under cockpit

The first owner on my boat installed a 10 gal ss diesel tank that sits on a glassed platform between the sides and above the stuffing box. I think that location works well. Out of the cabin, enough room to get to the rear of the engine, transmission, shaft, and stuffing box below. And 10 gal. gives me a range of 30 + hours.
    Too Contagious (1966 Ariel #392)

The tank I mentioned buying above, the Monel Triton fuel tank is for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited by c_amos; 03-27-2006 at 07:32 AM. Reason: to add picture

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

Question

I am wondering why the gas tans can't just be a metal out board tank kept in the lazarette or under the cockpit seats? I plan on getting an outboard and I thought it didn't matter where those types of tanks go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ariel 66
    I am wondering why the gas tans can't just be a metal out board tank kept in the lazarette or under the cockpit seats? I plan on getting an outboard and I thought it didn't matter where those types of tanks go.
    Most skippers with outboard model boats do keep the fuel can (usually plastic if sailing in salt water) in the lazarette. Inboard models have a fixed fuel tank under the aft end of the port cockpit locker (or is it starboard ).

Port Locker, tucked back against the hull, still lots of room in the locker.

As Bill said, most keep them in the lazy-rat hatch. I have a 6 gallon plastic tank that I use like that most of the time.

I also have a 13gal plastic tank that I use for long trips (also kept in the lazy-rat). This puts too much weight aft. I have an 2 stroke outboard, and even though it is a 6hp, it is a gas hog. I and wanted to store more fuel, but store it down low. The last long trip I made, I lashed jerry jugs to the shrouds. Better location, but still don't care to have all that weight up in the wrong place.

The search continues....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ariel 66

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

Anyone know of someone who might be looking for a tank like this one? I would like to get it out of my way.

Thanks,

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

Still looking for a fuel tank.....

Ok,

FWIW, having gotten rid of the (too big) triton monel fuel tank, and now cruised with the gas cans on the rail thing.. .I would once again like to find an original Ariel Monel fuel tank.

If anyone has one sitting around, or has converted their Ariel / Commander from inboard to outboard and has not gotten around to removing the inboard's tank, I am looking for one.

Thanks,

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

+ Reply to Thread