Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
What do I do to raise the ceiling in the cabin? Or should I just leave it as is ?
John the ceiling in the cabin should remain as is because you are not removing the fiberglass on the bottom of the deck only the top layer.

I apologize if I lost you on my explaination of the process. I often assume the reader knows more about the materials I'm talking about than is often the case. Sorry about that. Let me try and show you some pictures of what I'm suggesting as a possible course of action.

This is a picture of a couple of the areas on my deck where I am reinforcing for hardware and doing the same basic process as I suggested in my prior post.

The one on the right is similar to what I had suggested you do under the mast. As you can see the bottom skin of the deck is still intact (except where some holes had been drilled previously) and the balsa core is removed from the center and the bevel and been ground into the top skin surrounding the hole in the center.

This picture shows what 1708 biaxial cloth looks like. Name:  1708 biaxal cloth.jpg
Views: 5360
Size:  50.0 KB
as you can see it is heavy fiberglass cloth that is 8 oz mat stitched to 17 oz woven fabric. This is what I use to cut the circles out of to build up a solid glass and resin core in the center and what I laminate to the top of the deck as a new skin. By making the deck under the mast solid glass and epoxy you drastically improve the compression strength of that area.

Hope that helps, and while this may look like a large a scarry project (I remember when these kinds of things were scarry to me) it really is not bad if you take your time and fully understand what you are doing before you cut.