+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander Compression Post Discussions

Hybrid View

Picture

John not sure if this picture will do more to explain or confuse but anyway here you go.

Name:  RECORE.jpg
Views: 5175
Size:  18.5 KB

If this confuses I will try again.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

John,
    Jerry's above repair is very proper and the best and most permanent fix. Here is a quick and dirty repair that should get you at least another 40 years out of the mast step.
    Use a 5" or 6" hole saw to remove the top skin, scrape out the bad core and dig it out from the edges until the balsa you are pulling out looks clean and dry. Using the same hole saw cut out a plug from 3/8" plywood. Draw a 8" circle around your hole and taper the edges out to that. Pack thickened epoxy into the void between the skins and lather up the bottom of the hole, stick in your plywood plug, butter everything up with the thickened epoxy and apply your repair plys of glass mat wetted out with epoxy. Pre cut your repair plys, mask off a large area and have every thing laid out and ready to go 'cause your going to be a sticky mess. If you put on 4 or 5 sets of rubber gloves you can keep peeling them off when they get too messy and you want to pick up a tool or something. The repair could be done with polyester resin instead of epoxy if cost is a factor, its not as good, but thats what the rest of the boat is made of.
    .02 cents
    Mike

Repairs have gotten more complicated. You can see pictures in the Mast Step discussion. I now have an open area of about 8" x 8" underneath the mast step. The compression post/wedge has already broken through the cabin ceiling. I am faced with raising the roof (really) and then rebuilding the entire structure. Also I did slip and there is a 1" puncture in the cabin ceiling. Fortunately, I am using a 1/4" bit in the router. Rather than continue duplicate discussions, I will continue the discussion in the Mast Step, as most seem to read both. Suggestions are welcome.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

+ Reply to Thread