+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander Compression Post Discussions

Hybrid View

It sounds like you are on your way!

See what Jerry has done on his commander for reference... Some lovely work there - you should follow his lead. And maybe you'll want to incorporate the mast base in your repair as he did... That is a great idea.
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...1672#post21672

Cut a circle big enough to get to good-solid material... Since you already have a failure I would expect that the area will be the 8" circle (mast base), plus at least 2-3 inches around the perimeter which has suffered deformation. Make that whole area solid... Much less than a gallon!

I would not use pure epoxy. Use a bit of thickener and some glass mat on you repair. Jerry posted a good description of the process a few post above here...

I have a great mast step made of micarta by a PO. It is approximately 8" in diameter. I am hoping that I am able to cut a 5 in. circle and clean out underneath. If I have to go further, I will, but then will have to be neater in the replacement area. Because of the mast step, I will have to match the curve in deck so I get a good seating.

So the plan is to cut as carefully as I can, clean it out and then stuff it with filled resin......Sounds like I am doing a turkey, doesn't it. How much time to allow for the epoxy cure is a mystery but with some contemplation, I'm sure it will come to me. The other task is insure that the cabin ceiling returns to it's original contours. Easy beans ...ja'think.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

+ Reply to Thread