+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander Compression Post Discussions

Hybrid View

John,
    I see you are addressing the issues you posted a few posts above...

You'll be happy when you are done...

Your measurements should be in the neighborhood... But the thickness can vary in different areas so you might see something different at the mast base area.
    In any case - don't be shy. You already have a failure there... So removing the glass in that area will likely be necessary. just tear into it! Then reconstruct that area to the correct dimensions.

When drilling through a cored area; you'll feel the drill work its way through the top layer of glass and then it will go through the soft balsa like butter. The next hard surface will be the lower layer of glass.so it is easy to know where you are... But as I mentioned, I think that the area beneath your step has already failed, so you'll need to reconstruct. Don't bother reconstructing the core. The area beneath the mast step is small, and a solid base will work best under compression...

Just some thoughts - Good luck!

PS. Pls take a bunch of pictures as the work progresses!
    Last edited by Rico; 05-16-2010 at 06:39 PM.

John

As Rico has said the thickness can vary in the area of the mast step. What you have is 3/8" thick end grain balsa with glass on both sides. The bottom layer is usually very thin say 1/16" and the top varies a lot as I am learning. I just recored the area under the mast step as part of a project I will post in my gallery after I finish a bit more and can photograph it. But the top layer of glass under my mast was over 1/8" thick. It took me 7 layers of 1708 biax to fill the core area and another 5 layers to bring it up to the surrounding deck area. While I was at it I recored the area where the hinges for the forward hatch bolt through the deck. Here is a photo of the recored area.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

+ Reply to Thread