+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander Compression Post Discussions

Hybrid View

Tony

I thought the same thing when I first saw it. But believe it or not this is what it says on the cable (see picture below) which BTW has been removed. I plan to do away with the compression post and go to a strongback design which I will undoubtably over engineer like I do everything else.
    Attached Images  
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Whole new can of worms!

Now I'm really curious... Why are you considering switching to a strongback? I suppose a strongback and accompanying bulkhead (if you're adding one) would make it easier to close off the 'head' compartment. That does seem to be a issue from time to time and depending upon who's on board. And honestly, at first I thought a compression post looked 'in the way' because I got so used to having an open passage throught the main bulkhead. But given the open plan of the Commander it started to make sense to me as far as hand hold going forward in the cabin. It sure does uncomplicate things when it comes to mast support. I guess ultimately this decision boils down to how you sail and use your boat.

It's funny. I'm thinking about taking out the strongback in favor of adding a compression post and you are thinking the inverse. Crazy world we live in.

Seriously though, I'm interested in why or how you have come to your decision.
    My home has a keel.

Well Tony I guess it's kind of like the saying...

"One man's trash is another man's treasure".

I guess the single biggest reason could be summed up in a single word which is family. Which is also the biggest reason I chose the commander to be my next boat. My wife sails with me most of the time when I sail. And a private head for her is very high on her list of necessary requirements.

Also I have two grown daughters. One of the main reasons for the commander was the large cockpit which allows me to take my oldest daughter and her husband and our two grandsons sailing with my wife and myself. And when you have that many folks on board you need a private head area even more.

There are however many other reasons for my choice and here are a few.

1.) I really dislike the post in the middle of the access to the v-birth. A lot.

2.) While per your post it may offer a handhold the edge of the doorway can do the same while allowing me to carry things into and out of the v-birth area much more easily.

3.) The partial bulkheads in the commander seriously limit what one can do for built in storage. A bulkhead that goes all the way to the deck will allow me much better options for the sink and stove and storage of galley items.

4.) We cruise a couple of times a year for a week at a time and we have another couple we sail with. The new bulkhead and curtain for a door will allow a little more privacy for us and our friends to get ready for bed and dressed in the morning.

5.) My previous boat had a strongback and it functioned flawlessly. I really liked that setup and I have no doubt I can engineer somthing for this boat that will do the same.

In the end I guess it boils down to personal preference. There really is no "right" way just a matter of choice.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Today is the day I drill the area beneath the mast step.. We shall see what I have to contend with. My plan is to measure the thickness of the roof along side the hatch with a large C-clamp and mark a 3/8th's drill to about 1/4" less that I measure. No junk or mess, no problem.

Valhalla has a track across the cabin for a 2 curtains that is installed at the bunk ends. My wife and daughter have been happy with that arrangement for a long time. Of course, It does help to have the curtains installed.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

My rough measurement of the roof thickness on either side of the forward hatch of Valhalla comes to a smidgen less than 5/8" thickness. Does this sound right? I plan to drill a holes on either side of the step about 5/16" deep.

This is rough and gotten by measuring the height of the clamp screw of a c-clamp clamped on the roof and then measuring the clamp opening after removing the clamp and resetting the clamp screw to the measured height.
    Last edited by John; 05-16-2010 at 10:39 AM.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

+ Reply to Thread