Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Threaded View

Like Ebb and Tony, I am keeping the progress pics to myself until good progress is shown, but here is an idea of what I've been building in. Sorry it is so wide.

Besides what you see obviously labeled, there will be water bladders below the stove and reefer (an Engel), a third aft under the cockpit (going for a total of about 60 gallons), and 2 sealed AGM 12V batteries immediately abaft the main bulkhead, as low as possible while still allowing for possible hull puncture protection.

On that note, I am putting in as much foam as possible, but not as I envisioned earlier via 'coating' the whole interior of the hull w/4" of foam (which IMO could still be done, I just don't think I am going to need it). I'll be relying instead on a multitude of sealable compartments to contain any penetrations/water, and having a minimal amount of 'floodable' interior. There is some foam going against the hull everywhere, just not 4" of it.

The mast support is made of steel, a squared, upside-down "U" shape that thru-bolts to the remnant of the main bulkhead. It's 2" square tube for the vertical members, with a 6" wide C-channel span between those directly under the mast, that extends ~2" beyond the vertical members. At present I am just using normal steel, well protected w/epoxy paint; we'll see how it holds up. Judicious application of Corrosion Block is doing the trick so far. Cabin top outside of this and down under the sidedeck to be strengthened with an extra layer of a FRP/foam core beam, just to make sure it is stiffened plenty.

The berth has a pull-out section making it wide enough in the head area for me + 1. Has been tested with my girlfriend and proven comfortable, but this might not work for 2 larger people (I'm 5'9", she's a mere 5'2", neither of us is rotund), although it is in excess of 5' wide at the head end. I may try to make accommodation for a 'non-girl' guest to sleep up forward, but am not too worried about that right now. Possible idea is to have boards for this which would serve dual purpose; they'd also be able to work as a 'coffer dam' at the main bulkhead to contain water in case of flooding.

The seat is a pivoting boat seat that puts my buns at about the level of the aft countertop, giving a good view out the deadlights, and will be useable while at sea if conditions aren't horrendous.

The head/wet locker is as pictured earlier in this thread, with low walls. Putting the portapotti outboard allows for a small flat area on the sole, and I made the 'wall' by the companionway jut out a bit, under a high-step that allows easy access into the cabin when there is a companionway board in place.

Funny: I have a small window unit A/C mounted through the after bulkhead (vents through cockpit locker) in the head right now, for dockside use. It was given to me, and proved a real pain to step over when companionway mounted, especially since I rarely use it (maybe 6-8 times this summer), so I put it there. It's in a high area of the cockpit locker that is otherwise unused (forward of the cockpit locker hatch, aft of the bulkhead, upper corner), so eventually I'll build walls around it and create separate cockpit and cabin access through sealing hatches; I'll have a mini-wetlocker there once I remove it to go cruising.
    Attached Images  
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...