+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Hybrid View

The new (temporary) icebox

Here is the genius bit of craftmanship you have been wondering about. I hate to put these photos up, and make Ebb's work look so, well, unfinished, but here we go...

"Technical discussion" follows the photos...

Here's the new box -

and here's a slightly different perspective which shows its size better, and how it sits in relation to the rest of the interior -

here with the lid open -

and last, looking down inside -

I made the box simply and easily, because I knew I'd probably be remaking the box. I will be remaking it (a bit smaller), but I also made it functional since, as a liveaboard, I need to be able to keep the bee... um, soda (yeah, that's it, "soda") cold, along with cold cuts and bread, etc..., so it is a "working" prototype.

I used 1" thick sheet foam from a hardware store, and a radiant heat barrier material sandwiched between the outermost layer of foam and the 2nd layer. The 3rd, innermost layer of foam I added a week after the rest, after testing out to see how well just 2" of foam did. 3" works *much* better, so I may even go to 4" in the final version. The construction is simple - I cut the foam with a blade, and staggered the corner joints, sealing them with good old duct tape at every layer. I did not get too involved in the lid; the final version will have more than 1" of foam. For now, I am using a "floating inner lid" of 1" foam and some of the radiant barrier, placing it directly on top of the foodstuffs inside. I'm using the large (approx. 9" square, 1.5" thick) refreezable blue ice substitute thingamajingers, and am getting 4 days of cold from 2 of them inside the box. This is much less volume than a bag of ice, I'd probably get more time using an 8# bag of ice, but thats expensive sorta (although less so than it was, since the extra foam gives the box longer legs...).

I will do a drawing with the dimensions on it, and post that later (in a few days).
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

I also mounted one of my Caframo fans - yippee! The skeeters and no-see-ums were starting to get viscious. Am working on a screened companionway insert.

I've found a great place for one of my cockpit seats - as a cabin seat. This is a great spot to sit and read or eat (or all three). All of this area will eventually be built in with approximately this arrangement, I like it so well.

I knocked together some curtains out of spinnaker cloth -

here they are "furled" -

sailFar.net

Last but not least...

...and here are the CrewDogs, Molly and Buffett, reclining in their V-berth while they watch me work. Eventually, all those duffels down the strbd side will be replaced with a storage unit most likely constructed of Azek...

sailFar.net

Oh! And a question...

Based on her Hull # of 422, can anyone give me an idea of what year Katie would have been commissioned? IIRC, there were 440 Ariels made, so she's near the end of the run, but I'm not sure of her exact age. I've been thinking she was a 1966 model, like #370, but am convinced she's of a younger vintage...

Thanks!
    sailFar.net

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Don't know, but she seems to be getting younger everyday.

Say Kurt, how do you "embed" multiple photos in one post?

Hiya C'pete -

I usually upload the pics to my own website, and then use the photo link button at the top of the text input box to specify which pics will be shown. The resultant code looks like:

{IMG}http://liquid-epiphany.com/image_to_show.jpg{/IMG}

but, in this example, the { } characters should be [ ] instead (If I use [ ] then that text wouldn't show).

IIRC, I have some photo gallery software in place on my site, if you or anyone wants to use that functionality to put photos into posts, or store some pics on the web, let me know, I have plenty of room, and can create user accounts to allow uploading.

A lot of web hosting providers now have one or more free photo gallery apps that can be added to a website. On the Com-Pac Owners website I used an app called "4Images", but there are easier ones out there that look a bit cleaner.

Boat stuff update: Made a nice set of hatch screens (both companionway and front opening hatch) using the Azek material and with no-see-um netting. Will get pics up soon.
    sailFar.net

Talking Nice....

I'm using 3M's Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Cleaner and doing a section of the overhead every day.
    Man, that stuff is working well. I had thought I was gonna have to break down and paint. If I can get the same results you are, I will put it off in favor of a good cleaning.

Are you using a powered buffer or elbow grease?

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread