+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Hybrid View

Howdy, fellas! Back from another hiatus, since I hadn't been doing much on the boat, there hasn't been much to post, but now with warmer weather that's a changing.

Here's some Ariel bits you probably haven't seen like this before. It's the first part of the process of expanding the cabin back a bit under the bridgedeck, about 14", for the big berth. I've some other pics of the process, but not handy right now, so these will have to do. Last week I pulled the cockpit drain tubes from their thru-hulls and stoppered them up. Figured out the best way to do this while in the water was to cut white EPS (styrofoam) into plugs about 1/4" larger diameter than the thru-hull holes, mist them with water then smear Gorilla Glue on them, wait about 2-3 minutes then pull the tubes and shove the plugs down in. I knew from experiements a few years ago that the GG would foam up when treated like this, and it worked a charm. I shoved the plugs down far enough that there was an inch or so of space on top, and into that area I stuffed some epoxy putty, the 2-part 'stick' kind, keeping an eye on it while it kicked so that I could cover any leaky bits. Once I had all three holes done (drains + sink drain hole), I gave them a good covering of Great Stuff expanding foam, just as a little extra protection. Not a bit of leakage since.

So today I cut out the front end of the cockpit, a bit more of the ex-aft bulkhead, and the pegboard in the area where the footwell no longer exists. This week I'll be re-glassing over the hole, creating the new bulkhead there at the forward locker drains, and starting in on the berth base.
    Attached Images      
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Also, after I last posted, Mr. Buffett lived on for another 4+ months before the cancer really took hold and I could tell it was affecting him to the point of pain perhaps. Hard, hard thing to do, taking my buddy in that day to have him put to rest, still makes me teary to think of it, but I knew it was the best thing I could do for him...

So I was CrewDog-free for the first time in many years. Occasionally over the next few months I would go to the local no-kill shelter and walk miscellaneous dogs when I really needed a fix. Then in late November or so I started thinking I might 'foster' a pup, give one a temporary home so it didn't have to stay in that doggy jail. After a couple of weeks pondering, I decided to give it a try.

Well, within about 2 hours after I busted him out to come home, I decided that this one was a keeper.

So, meet ensign "Barque Whitepaws" - Katie's new CrewDog, since December. He *loves* her - & I think the feeling is mutual. He's a bit damp in this picture, from his first bath.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by CapnK; 04-13-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    sailFar.net

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    ... So today I cut out the front end of the cockpit...
    While the rest of us just complain about the cabin being too small...

PS. Barque knew an easy mark when he saw one!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

LOL, Mike I made a concession only cutting away as much as I did - initially I was going to take it back another 6" or so, but that would've involved the lockers and locker drains and such, so I am holding it just forward of there for 'testing'. Initial impression is that it is enough, interior-wise. Half of this project though is that I wanted less area in the footwell, a good seaworthy attribute, and one which I'd bet the Old Swede would have made himself, had he not had to bow to consumer requirements to "Sail 6, dine and sleep 4".

Here's a shot showing the hole getting filled back in. How exciting!

BTW - The gray stuff all over the place is high build primer, a somewhat-failed and thus far abandoned attempt to fill in all that crazy gelcoat crazing.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by CapnK; 04-22-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: made a oopsy
    sailFar.net

I am going to go find a large slab of ironwood, of a size suitable for making a club. When I do, and have finished making my club, I am going to go find and beat senseless in this order:

1) the person responsible for designing these cabin trunk deadlight frames, and

2) the last person who installed them on this boat.

I will then pile them one of top of the other, and use person #2's inexhaustible supply of silicone caulk to make these two cretins unable to cause further harm to anyone in the human race by designing such torture instruments, or by gooping them up so much.

There's got to be a better way. I am going to find it, and implement it, and forever relax afterwards...
    sailFar.net

+ Reply to Thread