+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    Damn, I drove right by you on my way back from Charleston last trip .
    I prefer the "back way", US-17 instead of I-95 .
    What a Bummer! You could have helped me get rid of some beer while we talked Ariel...

Let me know next time you're heading this way, we'll make some plans.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Thanks for your input, Kurt.

It only seems long-winded when you're writing. In the internet age we have all begun to talk in an abreviated fashion. It's nice to sit down and read a direct response that is not from a magazine or interoffice memo.

Living aboard for 7 months must challenging at times, yet, the most practical way to get the real world experience one needs to 'build' your boat around you. eg. the ridges in the bottom of the icebox. I will digest this post several different way and times before I make any more decisions on which way I'll proceed.

Thanks again.

Kurt,

Have you checked out the Triton MIR website? I'm sure you have, but there's a bunch of good stuff there. Specifically the entry on Florentina's Refrigerator? I remembered that one from a while back. That was the first restoration that made me think a non-wooden toe rail just might look decent.

BTW, your mods are looking good! I'm anxious to see the progress. Keep in mind, you may want to leave room for a double bunk conversion - so the crew dogs will be happy, of course!
    Last edited by mbd; 10-24-2005 at 06:02 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Thanks Mike -

I remember the Triton site from a long time ago, but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder - I'll be going there next.

The fridge mod is cool! I thought about trying that, I figured it could be done, now I know it can. Thanks again.

It's such a neat hack that it begs some idle speculation: Carry one of those super quiet 4-stroke mini-gensets, you'd have a neat, low budget reefer. Maybe put an Ocean Spray or similar square plastic bottle full of brine in the icemaker portion to act as a cold sink. Freeze it up solid, refreeze after 2 days or so? I love it.

Well, my progress won't be near as professional-looking as other examples you see around here, that's for sure! So long as it looks pretty good, and works well, that'll get it by the finish inspector.

OK, I'm off to go find out about that non-wooden toerail...
    sailFar.net

Jim Moore talks a little about his refrigeration in "Swan: The Second Voyage". I'm rereading it now - good read. I like his style and sense of humor, and the way he mixes in practical pointers. I haven't read his first one "Way of the Wind", but it's definitely on my list.

Also, for those long drawers, what about a couple of plastic containers? When you need something from the back one, you simply pull the forward one out and access the one in the rear. It'd keep things dryer too...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Haven't read those! Thx for the titles, I have to go do library returns today anyway, might be able to find it.

Right now I am using plastic bins, and from experience I know that having bins will make stuff "self sort", with the less frequently used items going into the harder to reach bins. I haven't ruled that out, but it will come down to bin sizes as to whether I use them in the quest to maximize space usage. Another thing I like about bins is, if they have tight fitting lids, they'd serve for a little while at least as flotation in the event of catastrophe. They could also be thrown out of the boat if it was sinking, and it seems that the more stuff you can carry with you in a raft, the better the chances of having something that could make a difference in survival. Not that I'm planning on that of course, but better safe than sorry.

I've figured out that my icebox will project above the current 14" counter height, and probably even above a 20" counter height. Why? Insulation. 3" of it all around a 20" high box would leave 14" of height on the interior. A 2 liter bottle is 12", for scale. However, I want at least 4" of insulation, so am thinking that the box might be 22" or 24" in height above the current berth level. I did a quick drawing (on my site) of that to see what a stepped countertop would look like, & it seems OK looking. 24" height would put the icebox top about 5" below where it used to be. Just now I thought this: I should cut down thru the berth level and use the area below. That makes a lot of sense, & uses an otherwise hard-to-reach area. Hmmmm... Food for todays thoughts.
    sailFar.net

Updated my "drawing" with more a accurate representation of what the measurements and real-world testing are revealing.

22" above berth height is 36" above sole height, and that seems to be perfect for the top of the counter. Right at my belt, I'm 5'9". It allows for 10" high cabinets at the back of the counter against the hull, where the shelf is now.

Mike - I found that I had some plastic bins in my storage unit that are almost perfect - 24.5" long x 11" tall x 14" wide, lengthwise they nearly span the width of the berth area, 2 high will fit under the counter, and 3 can fit in the space between the hanging locker and the forward edge of the aft bulkhead countertop. I lugged them to the boat last night, and they are working for me right now. The one drawback I can see to using them all the time is lack of air circulation for the bin contents. A drill and some strategic holes would fix that. It would save weight and time, not having to build in drawers and the structure necessary to make them useable. It won't look as nice, but there is room to use my slatted wood shelving idea on the cabinet front to "hide" them while providing lots of air flow. The advantages are real; I am not ruling them out as a solution. It might be easy to affix some cleats for them to sit/slide on, and they'd be drawers, in effect.

Attached Images  
    sailFar.net

Have you looked at the Brave Heart modifications beginning at post #4? http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=531 Might provide a feel for "real world" space utilization.

Bill -

I hadn't looked at that thread in quite some time, and you are right, I think it shows to a great extent similarities to what I've been thinking - even the sink is in the right spot. Good call, and thanks!

No doubt my earlier viewings affected to some degree what I've been thinking to date. Wish I could go aboard her and crawl around. I'm going to have to put some thought into a convertible settee...

I promise to be very wary of lee shores!
    sailFar.net

If I push the berth foot back 3' into the cockpit locker, that leaves 1' of berth extending beyond the edge of the current, original countertop. Then, notch the counter there a bit for a bit more leaning-back space. That would leave 3' of ex-berth area to put to use as a tabletop and a functional (if not super comfortable) seat on the other side of the table.

Alternative #1: Have no seat at the forward end, and a wider table coming off of the current, OEM drawer storage (this sounds better).

Alternative #2: Have a seat only at the forward side of the table, the table becoming an extension of the current countertop when it is raised/in place.

Alternative #2A: Get some of the hull shelf out of the way, and there could actually be a mini-L shaped seat around the table (table would need be small, and not extend to the hull, person sitting there would have their back to the hull).

Have to think on all these, and go measure the size and arrangement of the dinette on a Cal 25 at the other end of my dock. I want the table to be able to drop down and restore the berth normal function, in order to be able to use it as a berth in hot weather (for max air circulation over my sleeping body).
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by epiphany; 10-28-2005 at 02:14 PM.
    sailFar.net

Forgot to add this:

I made a quick 4' long, 24" high ply countertop and fastened it to the hanging locker. Scavenged a few more of those large bins from my storage unit, and now I have a functional model of the starboard side area I've been thinking of. It isn't pretty, but it is working to demonstrate the feasability of these ideas. It also freed up a couple of smaller (but still pretty large) bins to use up in the v-berth (instead of the duffels I'd been using), so there I also have a functioning-if-not-pretty simulation of what I think it will be eventually. These two "improvements" have made a big difference already. I think I am on the right track for what I want to do, even if it is far from the original use for which the boat was intended.

One thing I've thought to do is to go ahead and start a list of everything (gear-wise) that I'd need aboard to go and do a long distance cruise away from the US. Once I have a good list, it should give me an idea of how my current stowage and plan will work when I add in all that "stuff". I feel as if I could leave right now for two weeks or more with what I have aboard, but I know there are a lot of things that I'd need for a long distance cruise that I am not thinking of right now, and/or don't have aboard. Stuff like spare rigging, gifts for people I meet along the way, stores that I will want but won't be able to find way out there, etc... I know that I have a few years yet before I can leave (and lots to do during them), but planning sure is fun.
    sailFar.net

Talking Houdini, #407-makes it into the Gulf

Been awhile my good brethren of the noble Ariel. Attached are some pics to do the Ariel devotee proud. Note the Executive Officer's relaxed disposition--nothwithstanding her maiden voyage into the sometimes nasty Gulf of Mexico. Note also the Sea-Dog, Nick, who, at one point decided to have words with the porpoises. Note above all else that lavish varnish work.
    Attached Images          

Cool Houdini nekked

More braggin-shots of Houdini getting some work done. Ted M.-I think you would approve.
    Attached Images      

Waterline Houdini

George. your last quarter stern shot of Houdini shows a very high waterline. Is it where it oughter be? You visit bad water and want bottom to protect the pearly whot hull??
    I ask because I have just lowered 338's from four inches above the top of the factory waterline - there were two so I assume the top line was the top of a boot stripe - moved it back to the boot line. That gives me some leeway for extra weight and will allow the higher boot top to be painted on epoxy bottom protected watewrline.

The 4" I put back took my line down from the transom bottom tip to something like what we see on other boats - if it's an outboard well, to the bottom of the well. Just wondering if I did the right thing! Got it taped and was thinking of putting hull primer on.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-07-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Thumbs up

George....LOOKIN GOOOOD!!!! Nice dodger/bimini !! I have my new one in a bag..will find out soon how it turned out (I made the pattern for them=scary)I hope it looks 1/2 as good as yours.Every thing looks 'proper'...great work.I must say ya managed a great dolphin pic to boot.They never seem to come up in the same place and only surface where your camera is'nt.That boat IS a exellent example of 'the breed' Enjoy!!.. one FINE lil yacht !!

+ Reply to Thread