+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Hybrid View

EMP does the job every time, sorry for wiping out your camera memory card that way...

Here's a pic, from back aways, I think Feb, but I added in some lines to show what's where (or going to be where). Right now I've started up in the vberth area, strbd side. After that I'll go to port, then the area behind the seat (which you can't see in the pic). That area is going to be the 'utility closet', and has enough vertical space to serve as a hanging wetlocker. The plan is to do the areas seen least, first. I am no skilled technician like Tony, Ebb, Geoff, and all the others that have gone before. I've also come to the conclusion that I am more than willing to have a less-than-perfect, more workmanlike finish, in the interest of getting it done a LOT quicker.

Also, a couple pics of the floaty-board-core material I am using for the interior construction. It's pink foam and either 1/8" door skin or 1/4" luan, bonded together with fiberglass and Gorilla Glue. The wood adds stiffness but mostly impact protection, and makes a construct tougher than just plain foam. I'll glass over the wood once it's all in place, for a bit more strength, and easy cleaning. The layer of glass between the wood and foam works *really* well - this is some tough stuff. It is almost unbreakable, even without the foam. I laugh when I hand someone a small piece of 1/4" cheap ply w/10oz cloth bonded on one side, and say "Break that". They always think it'll snap, but wind up having to use 2 hands and a *lot* of effort.
    Attached Images      
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Thumbs up

Alright! Kurt comes through with some excellent teasers. Thanks!

Love the open cabin! Can't wait for some pics of your enclosed Flicka-esque head too...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Kurt

Fantastic layout! The 3-D models and pictures really help people like me visualize your interior plans. Now I can see, or maybe feel the flow through the boat and it is fanstastic. There are just so many ideas out there and you just can't fit them into one hull. When I see the pics of remodels like yours I start 2nd guessing everything I've done so far, layout wise. It's easy to lust after and desire a bigger boat. That would make things fit easier, but, we know the stats on bigger boats leaving the dock.

You did strike on one thing that concerns me with my remodel, weight. Vindo and some of the other Eurpean builders use foam composite laminations throughout their interiors for weight managment. Really gave that some thought while tearing everything out. I am striving not to put a significant amount of additional wood back in for fear of screwing up a sensitive balance that many refer to. I fear with all I've added to Dream Weaver she'll be too heavy to sail well. I don't really care about speed so much as being able to fill the stores with enough supplies to get gone for a while without turning her into a pig.

Really, really love the open interior and open main bulkhead. Gozzard's have capitolized on the not there bulkhead as well as many others. Now you have also!

Hats off to you, sir.

Check out www.genoabay.net there is another interior that is open with the wrap-around setee. Taurus is the boat I'm thinking of. Kind cool...

Good News' Tiller

Tony,
    Too bad plastic don't grow like wood.
    The color, the grain and the smell is so much nicer

If you scroll to "Good News" to its thumbnails on the genoabay link...
    about 4th row down there is a shot of its "Teller"
    (Maybe that's where the word comes from?
    TELL the boat where to go with this here branch.)

The fancicus rex tiller we see there is just about what I think Little Gull oughter have.
    Note how ... W I D E ... the tiller is at its base!
    It is a beautyful square section. A bit rounder for me on the handle. please!
    And it appears to be scrolled from solid honduras with top and bottom ash laminations added for strength and good looks!
    Interesting...

Kurt,
    did you say you had a design for a FOAM TILLER???
    Last edited by ebb; 06-16-2008 at 11:34 PM.

Ebb -

I found these potential foam tillers, they come apparently in both a straight and a curved model.
    Attached Images  
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Quote Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
    Ebb -

I found these potential foam tillers, they come apparently in both a straight and a curved model.
    This forum is much to dignified for me to comment on this
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

foam tillers

Tim,
    B & S Extrusions makes that foam tiller material.
    They're a division of Marshmallow Composites LOL.

But there already are foam and carbon tillers in the market.
    They just haven't got around to ones you can sit on. Yet.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-20-2008 at 05:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread