+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Hybrid View

Here's the strongback, easier to see than looking back...

Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Impressive tabernackle

That's thinking outside the box if not the TUBE!
    Nice pattern tube - haven't seen it before.

Couple things: you know it's dangerous to cover stainless with plastic,
    salt water will get in where you terminate the encapsulation.
    MAYBE cleaner install can be cap screwing - through the deck - into the tube strongback inside.
    Or even through bolting the tab, through the whole strongback tube using tube liners for the bolts as one does when thru bolting a mast - a avoid caving in the sides.
    Any future leaks will be a heads-up that maintenance is in order!

The other thought is
    that when you see European tabernacles they often hinge the mast at the top of the
    tabernacle. This may allow AFT lowering visavis over your dodger to a boom gallows eg. Or if FORWARD lowering the mast won't be at a crazy angle visavis the the pulpit where it has to rest.

I'd guess that the mast at an upward angle on the pulpit will create some strong leverage on the pulpit and at the bolt end as well.
    A lower angle of the mast when down will make unhinging the mast easier because the mast will be more level. Also reattaching the mast - as the mast's fulcrum is the pulpit - where the mast is 2/3s outboard - it's heavily weighted to falling further over the bow.

With a tall tabernacle aft lowering is preferred I think,
    as more of the mast is inboard when lowering and when resting on a much more substantial gallows.

Interesting to see what you come up with!
    Certainly not going to have any compression issues ever again!!!
    Good tabernakling !
    Last edited by ebb; 07-01-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Ahoy dere, Ebb -

Thanks for letting me see what to clarify!

The tabernacle material is aluminum (the type used in making those really tall tuna towers for sport fisherman), and tho' I didn't make it clear, the hinge/pivot will be above the diagonals, somewhere between 14-18" off the deck, and I intend for the mast to lower towards the stern.

That's the reason for the height - eventually Katie will sport some kind of dodger, so I was going for as much clearance as possible while hoping to keep it looking no too ungainly.
    sailFar.net

WOw!

That is certainly a 'sporty' deck support. Like a compression post on steroids! I should think that if a bridge should come down on such a set up that you will have some liability for the repair of the bridge!

How does that 'feel' below decks? I know you were going for the modern 'open' floor plan... that is a pretty significant piece of hardware, does it still leave the cabin feeling open?

I really like the tabernacle. It is exactly what I was trying to describe, except I was picturing plates on the sides rather then the tube. I think yours is much stronger. I am sure that is what you were describing to me when I was there a couple weeks ago... I was just too dense to visualize it.

What plans do you have to seal the top of the open tubes? I am sure the tube design is going to be much stronger then plates, but they would not likely stay that way if they were to collect water all the time (or is that the design, with a pipe going to the water tank?)

Also, how do you intend to capture the mast 'shoe' at the bottom? Will it just sit on the plate, or is there some kind of receptacle that you picture?

Finally (for some more unsolicited input)... I would suggest through bolting the tabernacle, and having it sit on a built up platform rather then encasing it in fiberglass... even the stainless is going to corrode if it is denied access to the air (and it's right to 'sluf off' electrons as it would will so as to maintain it's 'stainless-ness')....

Beautiful work there Captain! I look forward to seeing it installed!

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Craig -

She feels plenty open - the pic might be misleading in its blurriness and perspective... The tubing for the strongback is 2" thickwall AL, the plate material is 1/4" thick.

Gonna seal the tubes somehow, haven't figgered that all the way out. Would like the caps removable, and also plan some tiny drain holes at bottom of the tubes...

All of this is aluminum, with the possible exception of the thru-bolts (and if I can use Al there, I will...). I want no galvanization if at all possible between the tabernacle and the mast. WRT strength of Al for this component, the tabernacle is built of hefty-enough tubing that it weighs about 7-8 pounds (scientifically tested by lifting it, then a 10# barbell to compare ).

Mast foot/shoe fitting - Still in the planning stage, likely to be built of composite to a tight fit. Gotta let the brain churn on it for a few days, now that I have tabernacle in-hand to see what exactly I am dealing with.
    sailFar.net

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos View Post
    How does that 'feel' below decks? I know you were going for the modern 'open' floor plan... that is a pretty significant piece of hardware, does it still leave the cabin feeling open?

Beautiful work there Captain! I look forward to seeing it installed!
    Here! Here!

I admit it....I am insanely jealous! That open cabin is perfect for a boat this size and just what I really, really wanted. Oh well. Once again I live vicariously through Kurt.

Kurt, WRTyour mast support set up, is there a flat bar on top of the 'horizontal' tubing? If it is I completely missed that in your earlier photos. And believe you me, I looked at them tons of times! For some reason I too thought everything there was stainless and often wondered how you could have that much moolah and still be in port. That just didn't jive.
    My home has a keel.

LOL, Tony.

Nope - no stainless, all Aluminum. The internal piece cost me $300, the tabernacle only $120. I could have probably gotten the internal piece a bit cheaper, but made the mistake of mentioning that that amount was the most I wanted to pay...

Don't tell the fox where you hid yer chickens, ya know?

Thereafter ever aware of those consequences, I drove a harder bargain for the tabernacle.

There is a flat bar on top of the internal structure. I figured it would add more bearing surface, and be easier to 'mate' to the overhead that way instead of to the tubing.
    sailFar.net

+ Reply to Thread