+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Hybrid View

The album of Ariel #422

Went up to the boat last night, to spend my first night aboard. Turned out to be good timing - a strong cold front ripped through during the whole morning, and gusts at one point were in the 60 mph range.

Here are some pics of Katie Marie, just glamour shots really. The bad-stuff pics will come soon enough, right before the rebuilding ones. Sheś in great shape overall, but does need some fixing. All in due time - right now, it was a distinct pleasure to just be onboard for 18 or so hours, seeing how it felt. I like it. A lot.

Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Look at that Brightwork. Gorgeous.

She looks absolutely choice and original!
    AH h h the choices one must make.
    What to keep and what original?

Looks like she just came from the boat show.
    Love that clean unadorned look,
    such a pretty boat!

Arrow Yea but....

Yea but....

In person she looks......

[size=7]Even better....[/size]

There are things that the pictures don't show well, like the fact that the window frames are factroy perfect.

This is a very well cared for boat, she has obviously recieved good care through her life.

It is a good thing that she has gone to Kurt.

(Even if I am a little jealous that he will not have to suffer with the brightwork as I have.)

Katie Marie gets home

I brought Katie Marie home this weekend. It was a wild trip, I'll write it all up in a day or so. Suffice to say I motored 122 miles in 34.25 hours total time (point to point), and was stopped/not moving for about 8 hours of that. The 6hp Merc 4 stroke worked like a champ, fuel usage was about .25 gallons per hour, the whole trip only took 7 gallons of fuel. The boat handled like a dream, even in 3-4+ foot short-period swells coming upriver under the lash of sustained winds at 25 with gusts to 35. Here's a little eye-candy that tells part of the tale.

This shot I took Monday morning shows the salt buildup from bashing into the Cape Fear River so much on Sunday. The glass to the right has been splashed with freshwater, the left one is still salt-encrusted. I was glad for the tall cabin trunk on Sunday - sort of like a built-in dodger.

And here's Katie Marie tied up here in her new slip. Finally.

sailFar.net

Thumbs up She Looking Good!

Twas a fun front that blasted thru this weekend, Huh!
    Sorry I couldn't buy you a mug of Arrogant Bastard IPA, I drank yours and mine so it didn't go to waste .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Welcome home Kurt.

That boat is cherry.

Now forget those plans to change the ports.

Signed,

The Voice of Reason

The story is up on my site. A bit rough around the edges yet, and I have more pictures to include, but if you like reading, it's plenty long...

Katie Marie comes Home

PS - LOL at Mike and C'pete! Mike - I had White Russians instead. Pete - no plans on these ports yet, altho' I may swap them for some nice white plastic ones.

Um, not.
    Last edited by epiphany; 04-06-2005 at 10:47 AM.
    sailFar.net

Good for the Sole

Woke up this morning at 6:30AM for my first full day as a liveaboard onboard an Ariel. That's kind of late for me to sleep onboard, but dawn broke behind the clouds, and it stayed a bit darker than usual. Last night, I got the starboard settee bunk to myself, while the CrewDogs took the V-berth (although Buffett came down sometime in the night for a while - I remember a wet nose in the face early in the AM). They like the new boat, although they need helping up and down the companionway.

It was kind of chilly last night, so I had both hatchboards in while I slept, leaving the sliding hatch cracked back 8 or 10 inches for a light breeze. This morning, I stuffed a drink coozee in between the boards, and it opened up a slit about 4" wide right at eye level. Standing at the companionway, coffee cup in hand, peering out and down the length of Winyah Bay, I felt right at home, and I smiled at my new boat.

Thank you, Mr. Alberg. Your ideas live on, as part of my Dream.

After coffee, I started on The Work. I made up a list of things that needed doing more or less right away, staring into space, down towards the cabin sole, inbetween jotting my tasks down. That's when I realized what I'd do first. I broke out a sheet of 100 grit, got down on hands and knees, and gave the sole a good abrasive cleaning, followed by a couple thick coats of teak oil. While I had the oil out, I went ahead and wiped down all the other teak and mahogany in the main cabin, and now she's just a little bit prettier belowdecks, and I've accomplished my first task in her restoration.

I've some things I'll be asking about soon, I need to take some pics to show you all what it is I'm going to be asking about. Katie's in great shape for a somewhat aged lady, but there is a lot I can do to make her even better. I'm looking forward to it, to seeing her sparkle and shine again, and to feel her come alive under the pull of full sails. Ain't it great?
    sailFar.net

Talking Houdini, #407-makes it into the Gulf

Been awhile my good brethren of the noble Ariel. Attached are some pics to do the Ariel devotee proud. Note the Executive Officer's relaxed disposition--nothwithstanding her maiden voyage into the sometimes nasty Gulf of Mexico. Note also the Sea-Dog, Nick, who, at one point decided to have words with the porpoises. Note above all else that lavish varnish work.
    Attached Images          

Cool Houdini nekked

More braggin-shots of Houdini getting some work done. Ted M.-I think you would approve.
    Attached Images      

Waterline Houdini

George. your last quarter stern shot of Houdini shows a very high waterline. Is it where it oughter be? You visit bad water and want bottom to protect the pearly whot hull??
    I ask because I have just lowered 338's from four inches above the top of the factory waterline - there were two so I assume the top line was the top of a boot stripe - moved it back to the boot line. That gives me some leeway for extra weight and will allow the higher boot top to be painted on epoxy bottom protected watewrline.

The 4" I put back took my line down from the transom bottom tip to something like what we see on other boats - if it's an outboard well, to the bottom of the well. Just wondering if I did the right thing! Got it taped and was thinking of putting hull primer on.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-07-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Thumbs up

George....LOOKIN GOOOOD!!!! Nice dodger/bimini !! I have my new one in a bag..will find out soon how it turned out (I made the pattern for them=scary)I hope it looks 1/2 as good as yours.Every thing looks 'proper'...great work.I must say ya managed a great dolphin pic to boot.They never seem to come up in the same place and only surface where your camera is'nt.That boat IS a exellent example of 'the breed' Enjoy!!.. one FINE lil yacht !!

Thumbs up

I just looked back at your previous posts..what a beauty !! Just in remarkable shape for an ole gal !! You are so lucky to find such an obviously 'loved' boat and she was so lucky you found her to carry on that pride of ownership !!

Waterlines, etc on Houdini

Thanks all for the compliments--Ebb: the water line is where it is as a function of the previous owner's decisions. I just let it stand. I suppose it is a bit high, but the boat has made well-laden trips to Louisiana, all over the Texas coast, and at least one long haul to Belize. I have never gotten her loaded-up enough to settle that extra 2 inches or so.
    Mr. Durant--if ye like varnish, ye might have more soulful satisfaction to come. Just finished a total rework of the interior, but haven't put the photos in. All interior teak has a mirror finish--just so the Executive Officer could avoid the trouble of finding a mirror in the morning.

+ Reply to Thread