+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The album of Ariel #422

Hybrid View

Never-seen-before boat parts

Mike - Later this week, after I purchase the materials, I will be making up the first of my foam/plywood panels, I'll photo document that when it happens. I've been bouncing the idea off of everyone I know who might have input, and so far all have agreed that it should work wonderfully. I hope we're all right on that account...

Oh - our first good cold snap of the year has made me realize that I could use some insulation on the hull, so I also plan to go ahead and start installing the 2"-thick layer of foam against the hull in the main cabin area (above settee level), probably also towards the end of the week.

Todays 'of interest':

I did some cuttin' on the boat this AM. Since I'll be supporting the mast from underneath, I needed to know what structure was in place at the small step-up into the vberth (where the mast support will rest), and I have also wanted to open up the floor area in the v-berth for inspection, with an eye towards eventually cramming some of my positive-flotation foam in there, since I anticipated it would be too small for any real stowage.

The area is a little larger than I expected, so I am not sure what use I will put it to just yet, but here it is, exposed at last for contemplation.

Warning: work-safe pictures follow...

This shows the cut-out.
    Attached Images  
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Nice bit of grime in there, eh? Be glad I took the pic *after* vacuuming. There is a small, non-draining depression evident, I would assume at the forward upper edge of the encapsulated lead. I will fill the depression in with foam (glassed over) so that it drains properly.

You can see an old water stain on the hull just a couple of inches below the plywood, which is the same level as the main cabin floorboards. It appears as if someone had a water problem sometime in the past 40 years, one not repeated, thankfully...

I also found a receipt in there, wet and dirty in that small depression (along with various other grunge). It came from a company in Maryland, and is dated 1979. It appears to be for labor on a "heat control valv" (sic), so I don't think it is Ariel related. If it is, I plan to turn that sucker *up* when I find it. But whatever it was, it cost $28.37 to have done.

OK, here's what it looks like looking forward from down inside...
    Attached Images  
    sailFar.net

...and looking aft follows. It appears that the only 'structural' member here is another piece of plywood of the same thickness as the bulkhead, lightly tabbed into place. I'll definitely have to strengthen this area for the mast step.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by CapnK; 11-06-2006 at 08:05 AM.
    sailFar.net

Katie has such NICE CLEAN bilges...

I had NO idea that there was so much room down there under the forward step up..... I was hoping to stow some extra stuff in there myself, now I KNOW I will be.

It is interesting to me that Katie has a small block formed into the port side in on the deck in this area. Faith has the same block.... but I have not noticed it on any other Ariels I have seen...

Does anyone know what this tille block/cleat might be for?

(on edit: the one shown in post #119).

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Craig -

Maybe that is where the "heat control valv" was located?
    sailFar.net

Kurt
    That bilge looks like an operating theater!!! What the heck? It almost appears the bilge was painted before the soles went in. I never found anything that looked that good anywhere on 113. Did you do that? Surely it didn't leave the factory like that. Did you cut the first hole up there or was there a smaller hatch in the sole up there?

I can't wait to see the photos of the upcoming work.

Boat junkie, Boat drunk, whatever, that's me....

Hi Tony -

I'm not sure when the bilge was painted, but it must have been at the factory, since there was no access there prior to yesterday. The color is also around the edge of the cabin sole and the main bilge, but is not inside the under-bunk settee lockers, though. It's some kind of hella tough paint, maybe even pigmented resin - IIRC, the settee base tabbing was placed *on top of* this mystery gray coating.

My boat is a weirdo, I guess. (Hey, that's fitting! ;D) She didn't have diagonal braces on the forward side of the main bulkhead, either. Maybe this is because she was late in the production run (18 hulls or so from last), or maybe she was customized at the factory for whoever the original owner was? I don't know if they did such a thing, but you would assume that they did...

Perhaps we could be called 'boat drunkies' lol
    sailFar.net

...and last, a hole.
    Attached Images  
    sailFar.net

+ Reply to Thread