+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headsails

Hybrid View

The 120%, 150%, etc., refer to the percentage of the fore triangle - approximately the area from the mast base to the bow and up to the mast head. Headsails are sized by percentages of that triangle.

For anything but the 110% working jib, all sheets go outside all the shrouds to the winches. For the 110, the sheets go outside the forward shourds and inside the other two.

The Pearson factory genoa track is placed too far aft for good sail shape with low clew genoas. Location for the 150's turning block is near the after end of the aft large window. The block for the 120 is closer to the aft shroud. Both tracks should be next to the toe rail. The factory jib track is usually too far aft and too close to the house.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Willie, you could try tying the bowlines so that the tail is on the outside and the smoother part of the knot passes over the shroud.

I've also seen some people use PVC pipe on the foward shroud as a roller.

What I did is use one single long line with a simple knot at the grommet. Loop the line in the middle. Push the loop through the grommet. Pull the ends of the line through the loop. That's it. Works well.

Mike, what name are you going to give the sail? Maybe "The Whomper"
    Attached Images  

Peter, thanks, that's too simple! And nice photo.
    I did some digging around, i see some ash shroud rollers, and some pvc ones for about $55. Think i could make some for about 1/10 of that!

Going sailing. Supposed to be about 70 degrees, a bit of west wind. I'm outta here!!
    wet willieave maria

Mike, A comment to your original question about sails larger than 150. For a number of years the #75 Ariel raced with a 180 jib. We would carry a 155. What we found was that if there was a long weather leg we would often climb to weather on him gaining distance. We would not see much difference in speed. Where the 75 would eat us up was on a reach that was too tight for a spinnaker. The skipper on the 75 would move the fair lead forward to close off the top of his jib and would go reaching right by us. I would guess he would carry at least an extra .5 – 1 knot of speed on a reach with that 180. Our goal was always try to climb to weather by pointing close hauled and wait and see how long we might be able to hold him off.

One point if anyone out there is a racer and wants to use a sail larger than 155%. Most governing bodies will ding you 3 – 6 seconds a mile on your rating for using a jib larger the 155% .

Headsail Track Location

Here is the track location for the 155% on #76. The block is placed where the sail on our boat seems to perform best.
    Attached Images  

Headsail Track Location

And, here is the location of the track for the 110% jib. We seem to use just the aftermost three holes -- go aft as the wind builds.
    Attached Images  

Exclamation Another look

If you look at the 'fact sheet' from the website header, look at the sail diagram and you see a large genny outlined that comes aft of the house by nearly a foot. It is sheeted to a posistion on the track about where my winches are located. Is that a 180? In these parts that might move the boat in the summer.

Jealous Chesbay Sailor

sheets

Bill, went out with the small jib--i'd call mine about a 100%, as it doesn't overlap much, and has a pretty high clew.I routed the sheets between fwd. shroud and upper shroud, and it worked great! The block was set about the same spot as in your photo, but inboard more, next to cabin trunk. Interesting how the angle stays about the same with it sheeted in tight or out. Must have it lead about right. I took some pictures, but left camera on the boat! I know there is so much more to all this, like sail shape? Twist n the sail? I'm happy when the tell tales start going horizontal!

So what do i do about leach flutter now? lol From my perspective in the cockpit it seemed that the angle was pulling down more than out, which should be good for the leach flutter wouldn't it? Maybe the old thing is just pretty stretched out.
    I'd like to do some sailing/racing sometime with some REAL sailors!

Maybe we should start a sailing lesson thread? Something like "How to sail your Ariel?" I know, it's been covered, do a search! lol
    Last edited by willie; 03-06-2005 at 12:00 PM.
    wet willieave maria

Revisiting the headsail issue

We race Commander #229 on a lake in Texas. All we have is the 155 Genoa with the jib track on the toerail. We hold our own on all the runs and reaches but when we have to point most everybody passes us. I need some tips on getting this boat to point higher. I have considered a 110 with the track inboard like the picture above. Would I lose too much speed with the smaller sail or would it increase my pointing ability to more than make up for that?

+ Reply to Thread