+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ariel #382

Ariel #382

Just got back from my first visit with my new(to me) Ariel #382 in Redwood City, CA and was pleasantly surprised. My plan now is to restore her and get her sailing! I'm entirely new to sailboat ownership, but I'm anxious to cut my teeth on working on her myself. First order of business is the infamous rudder post and upgrading the strongback (see pics). I'm thinking my best plan of attack is to get hold of a trailer and haul her out for a month or so to do most of the major work. Anyone who would be interested in renting/selling a trailer that would hold an Ariel anywhere along the Pacific Coast area? I will be driving down probably in March/April 2005 from Anchorage,AK. Also would LOVE to meet with any Ariel owners along the way for insiration/insights. I joined the association and picked up the Ariel manual, which is a VERY worthy investment for any Ariel owner by the way.
    Attached Images  

Rudderpost

I dont think the rudderpost is supposed to be removable!?
    Attached Images  

Strongback

Looks like I need to upgrade the strongback too
    Attached Images  

Trailer In Oregon

Bill Hover in Oregon has a trailer. Give him a hail. You can send "willie" a private message. Just go to: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/member.php?u=174

rudderless child?

Sheesh, wonder where the rudder is? lol
    Looks like fun, if you want to go sailing on your way, my boat is on the Columbia at Arlington, Oregon. We could go for a spin. Always looking for someone to go.

Unfortunately the trailer has a Coronado 25 on it up in Washington. Will be tied up for a year or so. Just get ya a new one from Quality trailers in Bellingham. About $2800

Congrats, and welcome to the club!
    Last edited by willie; 02-23-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spilling
    wet willieave maria

Trailer

I saw Bill's trailer and emailed him, but unfortunately it's tied up for a year or so
    I'll keep looking. It would be great if someone wanted to rent one to me for a couple of months as I doubt I will want to trailer it often.
    The other option is just to hual it out at a boatyard, but I'm just concerned about $$$ if it takes me longer to complete the work, which I would ideally like to do most of myself. I know many boatyards are not super keen on DIYers.

cont

Oops, thanks Bill I guess I replied about the same time you did.
    The rudder is still attached- and moves freely, I saw it through the OB well. I think the shaft is probably sheared above the bend...we shall see
    I would love to see your boat when I come down! I will drop you an email when I know my timeframe.

Tim,

Congratulations to you! Gawd, these boats look good from the stern, don't they? Do you have a crane you could use back home in Alaska? ( at last someone colder than me ) You could put her on a craddle and flat bed/car hauler trailer her. On the Alberg 30 site someone built a cradle/ pads right on the back frames of HD truck and used that. It looked pretty high up in the air though. Like Willie said-buy a trailer, tow her home, fix her and then sell the trailer. You'll inevitably lose money on the trailer but possibly save a ton in yard fees.

We built our trailer for around $1,200 and is indespensible. I mover her all over the yard until I finally got her inside. She'll be a 'trailer sailer' for a while.

Congrats, again
    Tony G

382 cont

For now I'm planning on keeping 382 down south (where its always warm) as my "winter escape", although summer sailing up here is AWESOME! I have family in California so I visit down there often, San Fran seems like a great sailing area so I may decide to keep her there, we'll see....
    I was looking to trailer her close to where my parents live to a spot where I could work on it for a while cheaply.

On another note, I was looking at the pictures I took of the boom. It appears to be non stock, newer, with a jiffy-reefing system. Anyone have any idea who makes it, what model? I forgot to get a good picture of the gooseneck when I was down there, but it looked modified as well.
    Attached Images  

Did you ask Ray Dawley, the fomrer owner, about the boom? Definately a replacement. Ray's phone number in Redwood City was 415/368-2196. May still be good.

Tony,

Wow, you built a trailer for $1200?! Any chance we could see photos and get a description. I am in the market for a trailer to bring mine home for some work. Fortunately for me, Hurricane Rita took all my fencing down, so now it will be easy to drive her in to the yard!

Ted
    Ted Mahavier

It would be great to have more info on that boom! It looks like it would be stiff and might lend itself to midboom sheeting if anyone was interested in trhat. The reefing system looks very shippy too.

Would like to see the goose neck on this boom, for sure!!!

+ Reply to Thread