+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interior drawings via GIMP

Waterline is much higher when sailing, for sure. I doubt the compartments will make the boat unsinkable, but they should at least make it slow-sinkable. If a breach occurs above water level on one side, you'd do much as you would in any other boat - tack, and fast. This in an effort to bring your hull-hole out of the water in order to slow any flooding, and eventually make it possible to effect some type of repair. The watertight compartments inside the boat are to keep her from going down too fast. If the boat can't be saved, then at least maybe one would have more time to make an effective abandonment.

I'm still pondering the interior rubber skin or double-hull ideas. At least in the area forward of the main bulkhead.

Rereading Griffith's Bluewater last night, came across a place where he stated something along the lines that "one cannot head out to sea without taking aboard potential danger as a passenger". True. But you can only hope that this is a passenger who will cause no trouble while you are "out there", and do as much as possible to negate the effects if they do. The only way to avoid that is to stay in port. To that, I say No thanks.

Like another great sage said "I'd rather die while I'm living, than live while I'm dead.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Griffiths (?)
    It was Maurice Griffiths ( english yacht designer and 'Yachting Monthly' ed) that got it started too many years ago, for me. "Dream Ships" it was called. Still have a 1952 copy of "The Magic of the Swatchways" Probably aren't any of them swatchways left. I believe he began designing shallow water sailboats from Chapell. 'Bluewater' ??
    Last edited by ebb; 02-26-2005 at 06:43 AM.

Bob and Nancy Griffith, book title "Bluewater", 1979, ISBN 0-914814-19-2

Their boat(s) were named Awahnee, they'd done 3 circumnavigations and 200,000 some odd miles at the time the book was published, including a cruise around Antarticta. Really good book, the guy was incredibly self reliant. Lots of food for thought.

Haven't heard of Maurice, though - will see if I can find one of those. Thanks!
    sailFar.net

After ripping the old icebox out the other day, I wanted to have a simple B&W drawing to play with before putting any ideas into wood. Here is a line drawing of the Ariel cabin w/out an icebox, viewed facing aft. Thought I'd post it here in case anyone else ever feels the urge to doodle on something that has proper perspective. This one is 600x450 pix. A 1024x768 version is here.

Attached Images  
    Last edited by epiphany; 10-22-2005 at 12:20 PM.
    sailFar.net

+ Reply to Thread