I have friends who are rebuilding a '62 Rhodes Meridian (a very similar vessel to the Ariel). Their plans will have them cruising long distance in another year or so. They are looking for a 2 stroke 6hp outboard to power her with.

Part of the reason is for simplicity and ease of getting work/parts done on the ubiquitous 2 stroke engine, should they venture to places where small 4 strokes are not yet common.

Another reason that they don't want a 4 stroke is because though you can lay the engine on its side in the lazarette when not in use, heeling under sail could still cause water from the cooling system to migrate into places it should not be.

These seem like a valid concerns in the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke question. The cooling water thing is what concerns me most here.

I understand the 4 stroke benefits (quiet, cleaner, more range). But that is for naught if after a lumpy day (or weeks) at sea the engine has to be torn a down and rebuilt in order to run. Water in the cylinder and head is a Bad Thing.

I'm wondering if anyone has some knowledge they'd care to impart regarding that question.

Also - Could a 4 stroke be hoisted on a Garhauer davit and run dry for a minute to purge the sytem, prior to being stowed away, in order to avoid the chance of this happening?

Or should we all move to "keyhole sterns" a la ebb?

Thanks for input and edjumikation you can give on this topic.