Thread: Solar Power, Panels, Charging, Etc.`

solar setup

Thank you Kent,
    Don't forget some pics sometime.

Your attachment is unplugged, at least for me
    as I can't get any image.

ebb, its an excel file in zip format.
    Kent

whatzat? I'll wait til favorite daught gets back. Thanks.

I'll post them as images (800 pixels wide - is that OK? They were much larger, I rescaled them) from my site as I convert them, should have them all up in a few more minutes. Here are the first 2 pages. Thanks Kent!

Note: If you open them as a spreadsheet, you can put in your own figures etc and it would recalculate for you on the fly. If you don't have a spreadsheet application like M$ Office, you can get a free (no cost whatsoever) Office Suite at OpenOffice.org . The English language download of OpenOffice for windows is about 66 megabytes.

Last edited by epiphany; 05-17-2006 at 05:22 AM.

Last edited by epiphany; 05-17-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Last edited by epiphany; 05-17-2006 at 05:23 AM.

Last edited by epiphany; 05-17-2006 at 05:24 AM.

This is the last one. These were opened using Open Office, I am not positive they look the same as they do in the m$ office program, but they should convey the gist of Kents calcs. Hope this helps!

Last edited by epiphany; 05-17-2006 at 05:24 AM.

Epiph, Thanks. Now Ebb can have fun with the rest of us--- those with spreadsheets and "them" without! All look fine, except the last graph which is funky looking but not of much importance anyway!
    Kent

great info.!

You guys are awesome. That's some of the most useful info. i've seen here.
    Now i have something else to ponder upon the rest of the winter!
    Thanks!!!
    wet willieave maria

New Solar Power Source

I just read were some scientists from Canada have just made an important breakthrough in solar electric generation. A more powerful solar panel, 30% more elecrical power and get this. It is so thin strong and flexible that it can be applied to canvas. Could generate enough electrical power to operate an electric motor for propulsion, even works in dim light. According to what I have read product should be available in next two or three years. Also it seems that this product is a single film that may even be spayed on. Imagine your sails as large solar electrical generators providing electrical power in addition to wind power.

ebb and Tony G wanted a few pictures. Really not much to show-- a panel, some wires, and the controller! Say Robert, can the Canadians spray some of that stuff on clothing? I wouldn't need chargers for my iPod or cell phone anymore-- just plug into a zipper or button hole! I might look like some kind of space alien on an old Star Trek re-run though!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hull376; 02-01-2005 at 03:40 PM.
    Kent

Another pic
    Attached Images  
    Kent

The controller. It is a pretty sophistocated (sp) piece of equipment. It uses pulse charging and a special charging algorithm that causes the battery to take a full charge. The manufacturer says that tests show it will bring back a fairly worn out battery and punch through crystalization in the cells.
    Attached Images  
    Kent

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Battery

I'm trying to figure out if its worthwhile to buy a Gel or AGM battery. They cost twice as much as a regular battery.

Seems like capacity is about the same. They have a lower self-discharge rate, which is good. Otherwise, I don't see the benefit.

+ Reply to Thread