+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Power, Panels, Charging, Etc.`

Hybrid View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Battery

I'm trying to figure out if its worthwhile to buy a Gel or AGM battery. They cost twice as much as a regular battery.

Seems like capacity is about the same. They have a lower self-discharge rate, which is good. Otherwise, I don't see the benefit.

Question am eye seeing things.....

in the above picture where the solar panel hooks in ....looks like the polarity is reversed...the white wire should be connected to + and the black to - or is there something not shown...also is there a diode somewhere between the solar panel and the unit itself...
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 03-03-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Eric,

I admitidly dont know much about DC wiring but you typical household wiring bare and White is neutral the black and red are hot, which look like that was the format he was following.

Aside from that second black, hell as long as he knows where they are going.

Question orange batteries

Check out the Odyssey 'Military Grade' AGM batteries. Gels are too finiky. Maybe cranky's the word. And wes maroon won't have them.
    Made with virgin lead, Huge service life, same battery for starting and deep cycle, 10 year service life, chargem with your old wet battery charger. 22 page 'technical guide' worth looking for on the site. No prices!
    www.odysseysoutheast.com
    Last edited by ebb; 03-25-2006 at 11:31 PM.

Prices of Oydessy Batteries from a delaer here in MD
    http://www.1stopmarineshop.com/Products.html

PC 680T
    $145.95

PC 925T
    $153.95

PC 1200T
    $187.95

PC 1700T
    $253.95

PC 2150MJ
    $317.95

Question agm vs gell

3rdman, those prices seem comparable ("compeditive").

Be great if a comparison chart existed that cut thru the hype and maybe cut open the batteries to show us what we paying for. Generally an agm and gel are going to last longer and cause less grief than a wet cell. I'd like to see these high end batteries put to the test (against their claims). How would you test 'service life'? Cycling from 100% discharge 'over 400 times' to 100% capacity certainly could be designed into the procedure. Charging in 1/3 of the time it takes for wet cells, is another claim that could be tested. I guess you could drop then a few times as well.

Odyssey's 'drycell' means just that, there is no acid to spill out of a cracked case.
    Agms are more vibration resistant than gels because of the way they are made.
    Agms are more efficient charging than gels, have a higher charge acceptance, and while some gels claim to have a long life, agms are said to have a reasonably long life. Go figure.
    Agms and gelled are sealed. They require internal pressure to work properly. It's possible to pop a safety valve, which is why it is best when going for these batteries to upgrade to a sophisticated 3 stage charging controller. ($)
    It means tho, to me, that you can place these babies in an enclosed living space, which I would not do with a wetcell.
    Out side of that, what are the differences between agms and gell?
    Length of warranty has to be a good indicator of craftsmanship.
    Last edited by ebb; 03-26-2006 at 08:43 AM.

solar panel

Solar panels keep advancing.
    Look at the (bimini grade) 20W roll up 'Powerfilm' (15.4 @1.2A) for $320 on
    www.siliconsolar.com

Scroll to Marine Solar Panels

Be interested in what you think since ayeno diddly about this stuff.
    Last edited by ebb; 03-26-2006 at 09:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread