+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Power, Panels, Charging, Etc.`

Hybrid View

Solar Power, Panels, Charging, Etc.`

Kent,

How about a run down on your solar panel and electrical system? What you have, what you like, what it does, where you got it, etc.. Being I don't have an inboard and, currently anyway, don't have an outboard with an alternator/charging system I'm looking at different ways of keeping 113 'electrically unhampered'.

Here's what I'm looking for-an electric start outboard with an alternator and has virtually no drag when we're sailing. Oh heck yeah, no prop walk either! And weighs 70 to 80lbs. while we're at it. And a big stack of $100 bills.

Tony G

Tony G -

I've been looking at solar stuff too, being in a similar situation with an outboard that has no charging ability. I think that solar will be the main source of juice on #370 when she gets to that point. It will be nice to see what Kent has to say.

You might want to take 6 or 7 of your $100 bills and look at these 2 little 1kW generators - both 4-stroke, under 60dB sound, under 30# weight, load-sensing throttle (saves gas, lengthens run time), have AC and DC output, yadda yadda yadda. I'm thinking that they would make a good backup source for charging, as well as perhaps being able to run a small power tool (jigsaw, palm sander, drill, icemaker, blender). Well, OK, maybe the last two "tools" aren't, really, but one could dream... The Yamaha seems to always be a little cheaper at the sites I've seen.

Honda

Yamaha

Also, one last thing - I stole your boat. Well, a picture of your boats interior, after you'd ripped almost all of it out. I'm using it to "draw" mockups of the interior layout for #370, sometime in the distant foggy future. Hope you don't mind.

Frank, you are oh so right about what it's like to peel away the last shreds of blue tape, stand back, and admire what one of these pieces of art looks like all shined up, looking brand new.

I'll post a new solar thread in the technical forum-- or maybe at the end of an old thread. I'll tell you how I figured out what to do with Charisma. I've got an excel spread sheet that helps figure out the right sizing of battery bank and solar panel based on where you live and what your loads are on the boat.
    Kent

Steve Airing's post #5 at

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=630

describes his solar panels . . .

E, I like the generators. I once joked with Ebb about leaving the foredeck clean of LP bottles to make room for the genset.

Bill, I did the search for solar and panel. got some enjoyable, light reading.

Kent, That'd be great. Sounds like the kinda stuff I'm lloking for these days.

New Solar Power Source

I just read were some scientists from Canada have just made an important breakthrough in solar electric generation. A more powerful solar panel, 30% more elecrical power and get this. It is so thin strong and flexible that it can be applied to canvas. Could generate enough electrical power to operate an electric motor for propulsion, even works in dim light. According to what I have read product should be available in next two or three years. Also it seems that this product is a single film that may even be spayed on. Imagine your sails as large solar electrical generators providing electrical power in addition to wind power.

ebb and Tony G wanted a few pictures. Really not much to show-- a panel, some wires, and the controller! Say Robert, can the Canadians spray some of that stuff on clothing? I wouldn't need chargers for my iPod or cell phone anymore-- just plug into a zipper or button hole! I might look like some kind of space alien on an old Star Trek re-run though!
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hull376; 02-01-2005 at 03:40 PM.
    Kent

Another pic
    Attached Images  
    Kent

The controller. It is a pretty sophistocated (sp) piece of equipment. It uses pulse charging and a special charging algorithm that causes the battery to take a full charge. The manufacturer says that tests show it will bring back a fairly worn out battery and punch through crystalization in the cells.
    Attached Images  
    Kent

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Battery

I'm trying to figure out if its worthwhile to buy a Gel or AGM battery. They cost twice as much as a regular battery.

Seems like capacity is about the same. They have a lower self-discharge rate, which is good. Otherwise, I don't see the benefit.

Question am eye seeing things.....

in the above picture where the solar panel hooks in ....looks like the polarity is reversed...the white wire should be connected to + and the black to - or is there something not shown...also is there a diode somewhere between the solar panel and the unit itself...
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 03-03-2006 at 08:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread