So this isn't good. Looking at the drawings in the manual, I'm not finding this particular part - is that the rudder post bearing? Ideas on suppliers? I can get it machined pretty easily but I might need a drawing. I suppose I could take it to a fabricator, but I'm not crazy about leaving the rudder post flopping around in that fiberglass tube without it - in that case...

Questions:

1) Do you think this would be OK to sail with till season's end? It may have been like this for as long as I've owned the boat. I've never seen those broken pieces in the cockpit.

I put it back together without the rudder post cap just so I could eyeball it. Trying to take it back apart, it is stuck on there pretty well! Not knowing exactly how all of this fits together between this end and the shoe, I was hesitant to pull on it too much to remove it again. Visions of my rudder falling off and sinking to the bottom of the lake!

So 2) am I safe to pull this back off with some leverage without fear of incapacitating my ship?

Your input is appreciated!

Name:  rudderbearing.JPG
Views: 4951
Size:  156.1 KB