+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dropping the mast by hand

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The guy on the ground is supposed to be keeping an eye on the furler so it doesn't bend too much or otherwise get damaged.

Both lines are led to blocks at the center/stern of the boat and then to the winches.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 04-20-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    No pictures of the mast actually going up. The cameraman may have been taking cover.

Once the mast is up, the backstay, furler and shrouds are connected
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 04-20-2006 at 11:11 AM.

By easing the mast line, the A-frame is swung back down to the deck.

The noose around the mast is jiggled open with a boat hook and I'm done.

I'm not entirely happy with the whole arrangement. I had originally wanted to keep the A-frame only about two feet behind the mast and haul both the A-frame and mast up together. This would keep the mast centered. But, I was concerned that the joint where the 2X4s overlap wouldn't take that kind of strain.

I may come up with another version and incorporate a multi-part purchase.

Still a nerve-wracking production
    Last edited by commanderpete; 04-18-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Exclamation another good idea beforehand

I labelled all of the standing rigging in a clockwise manner----that is the forestay(s) were 1&2,then the uppers and lowers were all labelled before removal this way they were all able to go back into the original places at the end,as they may not all be the same proportional length.

A-Frame

CommanderPete,

This is the year I attempt to unstep my own mast. The Boat Hauler says he can take Vakalla with the mast lashed on deck. I have seen several dimensions for the A-Frame legs. What length 2x4's did you use for each leg? Also it looks like you doubled the 2x4's at the peak. Did you need the extra clearance there? My plan was to lash one of my snatch blocks up there around a strap hinge. I am planning on an 8-12 in overlap on each leg. If I lay it out right, I can leave one bolt in and fold the legs up for transportation and storage.

Curious minds want to know. I would appreciate any comments
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

Let me think about that.

First, I have a question. Do Boat Haulers usually transport the boat with the mast on top? I think I've seen some with brackets on the side of the rig to hold the mast.

I'd hate to see the boat bouncing down the road a 60 mph with the mast held on top by one of my contraptions.

FWIW, up here (and short distances at least), mine have only ever been transported with the mast lashed to the top or to an owner's made attachment... Ariel 414's setup
    Last edited by mbd; 09-17-2006 at 06:50 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

CommanderPete,

I am in the fortunate position of being less than 3 miles from haul out to my yard. And the roads are all local, so it would be difficult if not interesting, to have them do 60 mph. The trailer rig does have brackets that they can fit to carry the mast on the side. But the hauler takes my boat out with the trailer. It separates into 2 parts, and the aft part has a small set of wheels so it goes down the ramp and then is pulled back together with a cable and winch. When they get the boat, they don't want to be responsible for. or take the the time (I think) to handle the mast. So the answer is yes, they will transport the boat relatively short distances with the mast lashed on deck.
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

Mike,

I like that mast cradle. What is it attached to on the coach roof? And does it raise the mast above the pulpit? Can you take some more pictures?
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

Quote Originally Posted by John
    What is it attached to on the coach roof? And does it raise the mast above the pulpit? Can you take some more pictures?
    Weeeeeell..... it's through bolted into the cabin. And as you may know, I'm doing a recore.

I'd suggest at least sealing the holes with expoxy if you do take this approach - which isn't all that bad really. It makes a nice sturdy support. There is another attachment on the bow pulpit and one in the aft cockpit. There are some more pictures in my gallery: Ariel #414
    Mike

Mike,

I see, although I'll bet that is not the reason for the recore. I have been thinking of building something that will drop between the Hatch sliders, but not as elegant as your crutch, and not through bolted. I am used to having the mast off the boat. The first few years I had the boat, it was stored with the mast on deck, and the brown from the canvas came off on the mast and I had a hard time getting into the boat. I have a made a set of horses for the mast but taking it on and off the boat would be a pain.

My deck is in fair shape, I think, except that the gelcoat is alligatored all over the place. I may have to invest in a grinder and learn to apply gelgoat (or paint)

But I got a sail in today and we had a nice steady breezed for most of the afternoon. So the world is ok
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

John, you're right,it's not the reason for the recore - there are a bunch of them. But unsealed holes throughout the cabintop contributed plenty of moisture to the side decks.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Back to mast stepping - the Triton Association has loads of good stuff on their site: http://tritonclass.org/mir/
    Mike

Here is a slightly different take on the A-frame hoist:

http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/...ast/index.html

Good link. I like the idea of using pipe, if you can find the materials.

John, I used 10 foot 2X4s. I cut about 9 inches off the top ones to double it up there. Not sure exactly the purpose of that. I just copied what the other guy did.

If you're running a line to a winch, make sure it has a good lead from below so you don't get a riding turn.

I saved these pictures of the mast stands from an Ariel that was for sale.
    Attached Images      

+ Reply to Thread