I am, for the first time ever, the owner of an outboard engine. I worked a swap deal, trading some website design and hosting for a lightly run '01 Mercury 5hp 2-stroke (pic below). The engine is in great shape (has probably less than 50 hours on it), and I know that some people use 5's on their Ariels. Of course, I'd rather have a 6-8hp (pretty swift tides here), perhaps the Nissan so many of you love , but the Ariel *is* a sailboat, and it's not like waiting onboard a couple hours more for lessening tides will bug me a lot. Keeping this engine would save me enough money, probably, to buy an opening port, or more.

Never having owned an outboard, I am learning as much as possible about their care, feeding, and capabilities. I know the first thing I need to do: get the Merc 6"-pitch prop. ( http://tinyurl.com/5w7en ). Anyone know what the "diffuser ring" they refer to in the description is? (Text: 8 3/8 X 6 RH Alum 3 BL High Thrust. To accommodate specialized requirements, this prop design does not utilize a diffuser ring. ). I have no idea what that is about.

Anyway, I would love to hear from 5hp O/B owners how that size engine has been working for them on the Ariel, especially if it is a Merc 5.

I did a "Search" before posting this question, and read all the info available regarding O/b's and Ariels - lots of it! Good stuff, all. Thanks!