+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Navigation Lights

The sidelights are in the current West catalog at hte lower left corner of page 696. I don't recall whether the dimensions are 4 1/4 long or 5 1/2 " long but you can probaably figure that out. Perko No 0955DP0CHR or 1264DP0CHR. I think I used the 0965DP0CHR on the same page for the stern light - although it does not have the "wings".. For the mast I used the combvination Deck/Masthead light (West catalog page 702) Forespar #132000 The masthead light, same page, Davis#3310 in lower left corner.

I used the Davis light because I do a considerable amount ofr anchoring out and the low power drain and automatic on/off is very advantageous. For evening sailors in crowded waters, a brighter masthead light might be more advantageous.

Hope this helps. You might want to get a Perko Catalog. They might have some lights that are not in the West catalog. Let me know if you need any other info.

Perko LED Running lights

I replaced the old damaged Pearson port and starboard running lights with new Perko LED lights. I found them unsatifactory, sent them back to the factory because the chrome came off of one and both of them had water condensation inside. That was two weeks ago after exchanging emails and I have yet to recieve replacements. The LEDs draw less amps and seem to put out brighter light than the orginal units. I just hope that these lights are not another example of good old traditional American products that were so dependible being manufactured in Mexico or Communist China, if so I will look for old USA made replacements.

Here is another photo of the cabin side running lights. (see post # 4) Note the Sea Dog plastic replacement globes that are available at your local chandlery. These need their sockets knocked out and replaced. Probably will "switch" to LED bulbs . . .
    Attached Images  

If you look at West Marine's catalog the new one, I noticed they have bayonet LEDs, which can fit into the bayonet sockets of your old lights where the GE 90's would go. They sell them for $40 clams. But you can get them from url]http://www.superbrightleds.com[/url] for $8.00 found them out in Boat Works Magazine
    Last edited by Bill; 07-13-2005 at 10:49 PM.

Sockets

Bill,

You don't have to change the sockets on your old lights. You get the bayonet LEDs from superbright LEDS. Your old sockets are fine!!!!! But do you know a place that sells the rubber gaskets that fit the glass globes. They have the bayonet LEDs in West Marine but they are asking $40.00 for them. Totally ridiculous. http://www.superbrightleds.com does it for $8.00 per light.

More Sane

John
    Last edited by Bill; 07-13-2005 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprite
    But do you know a place that sells the rubber gaskets that fit the glass globes.
    No source for these, to my knowledge. I plan to fabricate new ones. Maybe use "O" rings.

Question: How well do the LEDs relate in terms of brilliance to the incandescents?

I don't want to diminish either the brilliance of the light or the angle at which they can be seen. The lights are relatively low to the water to begin with. I am not certain the big 1,000 ft freighters, not to mention the cigarette boats racing around at midnight, can see them that well.

Exclamation USCG approval?

Not all , if any are USCG approved . Approval = x lumens at y feet or yards . LEDS tend to be not as bright and more directional . I have replaced all interior lights with LEDS , but hanging back on the running lights . I have a photometric light meter , left over from a previous life, that can take spot readings from sources and surfaces far away . I may do a test in the future . Also get a red bulb and a green bulb , they will not be filtered by the lenses and will appear brighter .

Interesting. The reason I ask about brilliance (in addtion to my experiences with LEDs in the business world) is that this year I replaced my Saturn bulkhead compass with the ITT/Danforth/Rule bulkhead compass. (They are the same compasses but the company(s) have been through a few mergers - hence the different names). The new and old compasses are largely identical, except that the incandescent bulb on the old unit has been replaced by an LED. What a piece of junk. You can hardly read the card on the new one, whereas the old one you could read from several feet away.

I have heard for many years the expression "but the new stuff doesn't have the problem the old stuff you are familiar with" and "the technology has really improved" and more often than not wound up disappointed. I have concluded that most of the the users of those expressions has no first hand experience with the old stuff. That is why I still prefer film cameras.
    Last edited by Theis; 07-06-2005 at 05:15 AM.

Thumbs up New is not always better, but sometimes it is .

I have a Nikon I purchased in 1969 ( and several newer ones including a Nikonos that is my boat camera) and I have a Nikon D-70 digital SLR I purchased in Feb of 2004 , I have shot one role of film since the D-70 arrived . Nikon got it right and I have felt no need to shoot film anymore , getting better prints from the digital .

D-70 by NIKON

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin
    I have a Nikon I purchased in 1969 . . . and I have a Nikon D-70 digital SLR I purchased in Feb of 2004. Nikon got it right and I have felt no need to shoot film anymore . . .
    Thanks for the info. I understand the D-70 will accept Nikkor lenses, but I assume you have to go to manual when using them.

D-70

Depends on the lens , some older ( like most of mine ) yes ,you must go manual. All but a few of the older lenses will work with it too!

led

If I understand these posts correctly: 2 mile, maybe even three mile led lights are here already.
    Orca Green Marine can set you up with a tricolor with various options for between $240 to $370 for a tricolor/anchor with a photo sensor to turn it on and off and strobe. And if I recall, it's no taller than a can of 8oz pineapple slices. [a little taller]
    Stecktronics have more reasonably priced light inserts for existing AquaSignal fixtures.
    svhotwire carries led replacements for incandescent 15mm bayonet bulbs. And the Sea Sense line of dome lights, strips and recessed lights.
    Haven't compared any prices. Here's a young business attempting to do it all for you.

Led's are available for almost everything on deck and below. The people I ran into at the boatshow are
    www.svhotwire.com
    They were so new they didn't have a brochure.

If you already have a plain ole anchor light on the mast top, an outfit called GreenRay (Deep Creek) makes an led 'bulb' they call a light-engine you can retro for a mere $495. For cryinoutloud!

Somewhere I saw an even flatter (pineapple can sized) tricolor light out of sweden or denmark. led's is the only way to go. If anyone establishes a relationship with svhotwire let us know, ok?
    Last edited by ebb; 07-06-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Cha-ching

LEDs are expensive, there's no doubt about that. But there is the trade off of being energy efficient, and, we all know how expensive energy is. As new, improved products hit the market I'll seriously think about 'outside' lights. Yes, there are a couple of approved masthead lights out there, but, until the public demands the products and pays for the R&D the market won't grow to include the product we want.

Anyway, that's enough of my blab for one night. Found these guys somewhere./www.superbrightleds.com/

Mike,

So you go with the Red and Green for the Side Lights.

For anyone what is the best way to get the socket out any particular tool.

John
    Last edited by Bill; 07-13-2005 at 10:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread