+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Navigation Lights

Hybrid View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Running Lights

Well, my stern light has gone kaput. Turns out the interior contacts got corroded and broken. Anybody know if the guts of these lights are still sold somewhere?

I would like to keep the old fitting instead of buying a new stainless steel Perko (which would probably be the sensible thing to do). I need to replace that old wire too.

While I was procrastinating, I ran out and bought a portable stern light made by Aqua Signal. I only get about 4 hours of light for 4 batteries. But man, this light is bright.

I always wondered if the running lights on our old boats are as powerful as they should be. It seems alot of power boats out there have real bright running lights.

Maybe the working part of a new light will fit inside the old housing?

The internal electrical parts are standard. I picked up a bulb socket fitting from the local chandlery that fit fine. You do, however, have to break the solder fastening used to attach the socket to the light fixture.

My recollection is that the fitting (the entire assembly) is a standard Perko light, the same as you have. Only the insides have been changed to accept the new style light bulbs. You can replace it, if I recall without new screw holes. double check that for I may be wrong but don't think so.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Navigation Lights

A question came up on another thread about fixing navigation lights.

There could be a number of reasons why the the light doesn't work. The source of the problem is often corroded terminal ends or the socket.

You can try cutting back the wire a bit and making fresh connections, but its probably better just to run new wire.

The socket can be replaced with a standard brass "double contact bayonet socket". Often the old brass socket will have fused into the bronze housing, making removal difficult. If it really won't come out, you can punch the bottom out of the old socket and shove a plastic double contact bayonet socket in there. Its a little smaller than the brass one.

That's about all I know.

Nav Light Source?

On old Commander 80 there is a fishing float sticking out of a hole in the cabin just forward of the cockpit to Starboard. In a corresponding hole on Port there is a nifty little red light.

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that berfore I'm done I'll need a nifty little green light.

We are trying to do stay as close to original as possible. Does anyone have a source?

Thanks ~ Jim

Post HARDWARE

Jim,

Original hardware for Ariels, Commanders, Triton's and etc., is no longer available. We do have a lead on the original patterns and a navel architecture school that may get possession. (Search on "Ronstand" for more info.) But, this is turning out to be like going through probate . . .

Meanwhile, you can try finding an early Pearson that is headed for the chainsaws and bid on the light fixtures. BTW - I'm looking for an original stern light, in case you find one

Is this the 'stuff' you guys are refering to?
    Attached Images  

Yes, that's the original Pearson hardware.

This is probably slightly off-topic, but since this discussion is sticky and it's an obscure part search I'm going to fire away. I am missing this part for my Ariel (see pic). It has a female threaded hole (with an insane thread that is not recognizably metric or standard) and an eye hook on the end of it. Does anyone know what this part is called and/or where I can get a replacement? Even if the thread doesn't match, I will just put a die on the male end of the railing cable and re-cut it. Thanks!

Attachment 6718
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JurisG View Post
    This is probably slightly off-topic, but since this discussion is sticky and it's an obscure part search I'm going to fire away. I am missing this part for my Ariel (see pic). It has a female threaded hole (with an insane thread that is not recognizably metric or standard) and an eye hook on the end of it. Does anyone know what this part is called and/or where I can get a replacement? Even if the thread doesn't match, I will just put a die on the male end of the railing cable and re-cut it. Thanks! Attachment 6718
    Stop by your local rig shop and take a look at the life line hardware . . . or check a marine store. That appears to be a "gate eye" and there should be a pelican hook on a section of life line that attaches to it.

Navigation Lights

I just wanted to start a thread on this item because I found
    a person who does exact copies of the Navigation Lights
    that you see in the Rostand Catalog in the manual. You know the side lights
    and that winged stern light. I found out that they are based on
    Herreshoff (sorry about the spelling) templates. This does not surprise
    me because Pearson was based out of Bristol, Rhode Island. They
    took over the old Herreshoff site in Bristol. They are made of Bronze
    and have a special coating so they never deteriorate or patina. I found
    this guy in a Wooden Boat magazine he is based out of Hull, Massachusetts.
    If anyone is interested add to this thread and I'll post the information on this
    thread.

Might be a good idea to have the contact information. Someone could measure the originals on our boats and then check to see if the ones being offered were similar in size.

Does he do other hardware too?

Yes pulley systems that look like older systems but made with modern alloys.
    He has a catalog. His name I think is Jim Reinbeck and he will send out a catalog. He did some historical fittings for a Herreshoff named Joyner. I think
    he has made his reputation on historical replicas. But if you see the lights on
    this they are mind blowing they look exact. Especially the wings. I have my originals. I am also going to put in LEDs in those bayonet sockets I got info on that too. Less amprage is that right spelling and No replacements. Gotta love it especially when electricity is at a premium.

John

Please share Reinbeck's contact information as soon as you can. My lights are trashed and I'd prefer the traditional design.
    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread