+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online Maps and Photos

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Online Maps and Photos

Here's a couple of links to play around with (hope they work)

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepag...TOKEN=62908803

http://imageatlas.globexplorer.com/I...oup=ImageAtlas

Some views of the Great South Bay, Long Island, N.Y. and the little Village of Kismet, my favorite place to tie up for lunch.
    Attached Images        

Cool! I looked at the GlobeExplorer link and checked out my previous house address. The map was dated 28-April-2001 - I could see my old boat on the hard next to my house! Pretty incredible!

ACME

This has got to be one of the oldest sites around - ACME Laboratories. I imagine that the"acme.com" domain would have been hot property, and snapped up right off the bat. Site claims "Since 1991", which is back when dinosaurs roamed the 'net. Anyway, check out their mapper - simple, quick, and Coyote-approved.

ACME Mapper

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I wonder if this is the old Pearson factory. Burnside St., Bristol, Rhode Island.

Somebody's still building boats there.
    Attached Images  

Pretty big boats
    Attached Images  

Hey - how did you save those pictures 'CP'?

Just right click on the image and select "save picture as."

Should save it to your computer.

Statue of Liberty
    Attached Images  

Nope. Already tried that. Hmm. Maybe I'll try with another browser...

Yup. Firefox doesn't give me the option, but MS Explorer does.

OK - not that anyone cares, but my old house is in the center, old truck in driveway and old boat to the left of the house... You can even see the old dinghy in the backyard! Images of the life that was...
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by mbd; 02-17-2005 at 10:36 AM.

I'm using Firefox and I get 'Save image as' when I right click.

I should clarify - right clicking works on the forum images, but not from the website. Did you try it while you're in that website? If so I suppose I'll have to comb through the options. I just started using Firefox a couple of months ago - I like it.

Sometimes those types of websites will actively discourage people from saving the image. Various methods are used, like the "watermarking" of the image with the "Global Explorer" words across it. I guess they are worried that you will save millions of little pictures to your computer, and start a competing website.

That said, if you can see it on your screen, it is already on your computer, in your "browser cache", which is a folder that holds items (text and images) temporarily for quicker recall should you click the "Back" button. If the image is in your cache, you can save it, if you can find it. It is easiest, if you are doing that, to go to your "Options" or "Preferences", and dump your cache, then reload that page. You won't have to search through hundreds of images that way.

If you do a right-click and get a message in a pop-up window instead of an option box, turn off Javascript in your browser, or try holding down the "Shift" key as you right click. (I learned this while trying to make the Com-Pac Owwners site software a little easier to use for the members.)

As a last resort, and sometimes this is useful, try making what is called a "screen capture", which is a picture of everything on your screen. You can then open that picture in some photo editing software, and edit it to just that part which you need. I've done this at the ACME site, because its larger images are actually several smaller images tiled. You can see that in this image of Winyah Bay, which is actually composed of 20 small arial photos all tiled.

(The full image is 57K in size, link:http://liquid-epiphany.com/images/ph...m/4/winyah.jpg )

The only way to get this image other than a screen capture would have been to right-click-save each of the 20 little images, and then "stitch" them all back together - a real pain.

No way I'd go swimmin' in the "Great Pee Dee River"

C'pete -

What'r'ya, skeered of gators and poisonous snakes? I ain't never seen no gator bigger than 12 ft on our rivers, and though we have every other kind of poisonous snake, we don't have desert rattlers. Nuttin' to be skeered of.

Todays History Lesson:

#1 - The song "Way Down on the S'wanee River" was *originally* worded "...Down on the Pee Dee River."

#2 - For a time, a ways back in time, this Pee Dee/Waccamaw area produced more naval stores (not like West Marine, instead think tar and pitch and straight pine spars) than any other place in the world.

#3 - There was some boat building going on, too. On the bottom of our rivers are some old-growth cypress tree trunks that are worth a ton of money if you can find one. 200+ years old, they'd sink when being floated downriver, and the wood is so good, if you haul it up, it is still useable, and highly sought after.

Bonus Trivia Section: It ain't Pee in the water what makes it black, it's tannins. Take a dip and your hair gets silky smooth. I'm thinking to bottle it, and export to salons in France, as a way of paying for an Ariel refit.

Test next Tuesday.

Talking

I once kilt me a coral snake down SowCarolina , brightly colored poisonous bassard he was to be sure . Burned his lil haid off wid 16 blank rounds from a m-16 rifle , heluva muzzle flash it had.

We're going to have to organize a little fishing trip
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread