+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deck hardware plan, and

Hybrid View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Cool. I always wanted a Samson Post. I wonder if it would tend to snag the jib sheet when tacking?

The two additional cleats up forward may be over-kill. They would also be going through cored deck. Might want to beef up the deck from underneath if they're going to get hard use. You'll see how Pearson glassed in a piece of wood on centerline for the cleat.

Chocks. Some of them are real line-cutters. The ones they sell all seem to have fairly sharp edges. I'd like to see them more rounded on the inside.

Seems to me that boats rarely get loose because the deck hardware fails, or the rope is to weak. Its always chafe cutting the line.

Question a couple questions

As I start to re-install the hardware, I have a couple questions.

Looking at the manual, pg 148, I see the 'spin cleat' located 2' aft of the Jib sheet cleat (which is 17" aft the winch).

#226 had a pair of square pad eyes there, which I figured were for a chute. (maybe in place of the cleats in the drawing)

The only padeyes the manual shows are at end of the Genoa tracks labled "Lifeline eye plate".

Adding more confusion is the fact that #226 also had a second set of cleats, FWD of the winches

So........

As I posted I am planning the 10" cleats aft(with a 6"x9" 1/4"aluminum backing plate) with 6" chocks for mooring (& the drogue).

Then, of course there are the 8" jib sheet cleats, which will go back about the same place 17" aft the winch was orig, I guess I will go about 17". What is the rule of thumb about the angle of the cleats?

Then there are the 4" square padeyes approx even with the end of the cockpit. I will re-install these, even though I don't have a chute. I want to be able to run one, and they are good jack line tie off points if not needed for the chute (I admit being pretty much in the dark on this one).

I am not planning on putting the third set of cleats back on, that were just forward for the winches. I don't really understand what these were there for...

Any guesses?

Do you need a second set of cleats for a chute? It seems like the Jib sheet cleats would be unused when you would be flying it

Post Samson Post?

Do you really want a Samson Post ?
    If so what are you going to do with the bitt in that photo?

A samson post is part of the crane or derrick on a cargo ship , the vertical part , often seen in pairs and reffered to as "goalposts" when the booms are housed for going to sea.
    In very old sailing lingo it was a temporary post erected on deck to help in shipping an anchor to the cathead.

Arrrgh matey, you guys are getting too lubberly during the long cold winter of no sailing!

a 'bit' of correction

Thanks Mike,

I guess I needed a 'bitt' of correction there.

Any clues as to the third set of cleats? Or suggestions about the cleat angles?

I have tried to look at pictures of others boats, but have found few clues.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I really don't know anything about spinnakers, but I think you first have to figure out where to put the turning blocks or track and maybe even another set of winches.

Those cleats on the deck don't seem too good to me. The line would have to be flat to the deck before they would even work. How could that work with the line coming off the winch?

With a spinnaker, you might even want cam cleats to blow the chute quickly.

There's a little something on the Harken website

http://www.harken.com/rigtips/spinnaker.php
    Last edited by commanderpete; 03-30-2005 at 06:31 AM.

Thanks Commanderpete

Commanderpete,

That diagram actually clears it up for me quite a bit. It appears that the aft pad eyes[size=1] ('G' in the diagram)[/size] are to secure blocks that turn the lead back to the winch which would make sense to have to cleats fwd to receive the lines on the other side (with the lines now leading forward).

I will try to take some pictures later of the set up as I imagine it, to clear this up. I am going out to apply another coat of topcoat now.

Thanks!

Mike,
    What do you belay the anchor warp to?
    Isn't a very strong attachment point on deck that the whole weight of the boat is hanging on to in a hurricane a good thing?
    What do you suggest is best, a 15" cleat?

+ Reply to Thread