+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ONDINE? Ariel from Delaware to Cincinnati?

Wink ONDINE? Ariel from Delaware to Cincinnati?

Hi Friends,

I love the Pearson Ariels and once owned a Pearson Electra that we sailed on Lake Erie. An Electra took off a year or two ago with a guy who prepped her for an around the world voyage, but she disappeared!

Does anyone know if a Pearson called ONDINE, with Delaware registration numbers, is an Ariel? We now have one at our boat storage lot in Cincinnati and she looks lovely! I couldn't tell if she was an Ariel or a Triton!

We now are fixing up a 1962 Seafarer Rhodes Meridian, another old keelboat Classic!

A couple of years ago I wrote an article on Carl Alberg for Good Old Boat Magazine. He is one of my favorite designers, along with Philip L. Rhodes!

Schooner Scotty

No direct information on the boat, but you can tell an Ariel from a Triton by the fact that the Triton has two small opening ports forward of the two large fixed windows -- and two more on the slope between the raised portion and the forward portion of the cabin trunk.

We do have an Ariel in the db with the name Ondine II. Maryland registration.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Nice boat that Meridian, very similar to an Ariel.

Here's my friend's 1964 Meridian
    Attached Images  

Reply on Ondine

I once owned a Pearson Ariel that was named Ondine. I believe the boat had a Delaware registration when I purchased it and I maintained the registration. I had the boat restored which included painting the hull navy blue. On the transom is the a custom-designed painting of the name with an Ondine, which is French for a water sprite, sitting in the "O." I sold the boat a few years ago and last I heard it was taken to Missouri. If this is the boat that you have, please let me know.

David Hodson

Ondine

Hi David,

Yes, Indeed, this ONDINE has a awlgrip looking navy blue hull with a lovely painting on the transom of a watersprite with the name and she still carries her Delaware registration!

I don't know who owns her, but she is new to the Cincinnati boatyard!

She is a beauty and someone added smoke glass ports, too!

Schooner Scotty

Hey Schooner, can you get us the hull number, the reg number and maybe a name and conctact for the owner? We would sure like to add ONDINE to our registry.

Reply to Schooner Scotty

Thanks for the info. Yes, that is my former Ariel. I added the smoked glass ports. It would be nice to know who owns her now. I wish that I hadn't sold her.

David

Scotty -

I don't know if you know him already or not, but I know a fellow by the name of Charlie Jones who is currently rebuilding a '61 Meridian hull-out. He posts on the Trailer Sailor bulletin board a lot. If you don't know him, you should get in touch - he is a real craftsmen, a nice guy, and both an accomplished boatbuilder and sailor.

Here's the TSBB link:

TSBB

Here are some of the boats CJ's built:

Harmony Boatworks

and a pic of one of one of the boats he built:

ONDINE'S Registration Number

Hi Friends,

The Mystery boat, most likely a Pearson Ariel, has Delaware registration number: DL1947H. She has been beautifully repainted a year or two ago (or fairly recently) with a lovely handpainted picture of a Ondine Sprite on her transom. She is a dark blue hull, with a white sheer and dark red bottom paint, white cabin house and deck, with replaced smoke plexiglass ports. She is on a tandem trailer!

I will try and find out about her owner!

Schooner Scotty

Ondine's Registration Number

That is the registration number for my old Ondine. Looks like the current owner maintained the Deleware registration.

David

+ Reply to Thread