+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tony's UHURU – Ventura California to Brisbane Australia

NEWSLETTER

Tony, the winter newsletter (mailed to all) includes Tony Benado's story of sailing form California to Australia, plus a short article on what he did to prepare the boat for the trip.

Thanks Bill

That'll be great to read about. The newsletters are a super little publication in their own right. I always look forward to seeing one in the mailbox and they never go to the circular file.

I think the sequence of events surrounding this thread is just another testament to the outstanding quality of this association. This forum has wealth of good information contained in it's volumes. The level of activity and interaction among members here is honorable. The occational ribbing one gets, in good humor, is a far cry from the outright bickering you can find on some forums. Wether a member posts regularly or just drops in occationally to find an answere to a particular question, the response is always favorable.

I guess I'd just like to thank Bill and Gene and everyone else who makes this association work like it does. And hats off too to all of the association members. These are fine boats and we make a fine example of what a community should be.

Speaking of the Association, I need to join, which I will do this week. A questions begs asking though -

Is there any way to get copies of the old newsletters? If that's not possible, maybe someone with a collection would consider a Lend/Lease program for a couple or 3 weeks while I read through their collection? I'd also consider scanning them and putting the back issues on a CD (for distribution by the Association), if that would get me the chance to read through them.

LOANERS?

Dave, the Association tries to keep a copy of each newsletter, but please understand that some are much worse than others The one's with substantial member input are good. The newsletters that depend on the editor are not so good.

Which is a way to remind viewers, that if you have a story about sailing, maintaining, repairing, customizing, etc., etc., an Ariel or Commander, please send it to us. We will help out by editing (with your approval) and then it will be published under your by-line.

Have to think about "lending" our copies, but it could be possible. Remind me at rphelon (a) juno . com.
    Last edited by Bill; 01-23-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Post Trysail Track

Yes, there was a separate storm trysail track. This is a must for going offshore. Can you imagine struggling with removing the mainsail or part of it and feeding the storm try when things are going from bad to worse? Yikes, I don't want to be there. The storm try lived in the foc'sle and when we knew we might need it, we bent it on the auxiliary track so it was just a quick hoist away. The storm try track went to just above the spreaders, if I remember correctly.

Interesting coincidence

In another thread Eric posted;

"[size=3]starcrest was on the same dock as uhuru in the early 1980s.I knew tony b from just a few docks down.there was also a guy named dennis,(lived on some type of glass over wood hard chined boat)whose mother later purchased an ariel....[/size]
    [size=3] I was informed that dennis was lost---possible drowned ---fell overboard during some sort of illness.then on the same dock there was a guy named 'DJ' john overocker----lived on a converted life boat called chivas regal.all at ventura west marina,d dock.....[/size][size=3] ."[/size]
    Pretty cool huh? [size=1](Uhuru and Starcrest in the same marina... not the part about the other guy)[/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread