Thread: Tony's UHURU – Ventura California to Brisbane Australia

Threaded View

Exclamation Tony's UHURU – Ventura California to Brisbane Australia

Tony Benado writes:

I just happened to be on eBay looking at sailboats. I came across a Pearson Ariel and the site said if you want info, go the Pearson Ariel Association site. Well, I didn't know there was one, so I did a Google search and found it, then I just cruised around. It wasn't until I got to the Gallery forum that I discovered my beloved UHURU that I sailed from California to Australia in 3+ years.

I have a four-volume logbook that a few people have reviewed and said I should write a book. But I am not into that. The experience of this journey was just phenomenal. I said to myself, why should I wait until I retire and do something like this and do it now. I was 29 at the time I took off, so I called it an early sabbatical. I had my trusty sextant and a well found "beefed up" boat. I always had crew, one extra person, as I am not into going solo. Yep, some modifications were necessary before crossing all that water. My longest passage was from Acapulco, Mexico to the Marquesses Islands, which took 34 days.

Here are two photos that I scanned, just to prove I was the crazy person that sailed her to Australia

Tony Benado
    Previous Owner of the "little red boat" that could. In Tahiti, this is what Uhuru was called.
    Last edited by Bill; 12-06-2004 at 09:23 AM.