+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tony's UHURU – Ventura California to Brisbane Australia

Hybrid View

Exclamation Tony's UHURU – Ventura California to Brisbane Australia

Tony Benado writes:

I just happened to be on eBay looking at sailboats. I came across a Pearson Ariel and the site said if you want info, go the Pearson Ariel Association site. Well, I didn't know there was one, so I did a Google search and found it, then I just cruised around. It wasn't until I got to the Gallery forum that I discovered my beloved UHURU that I sailed from California to Australia in 3+ years.

I have a four-volume logbook that a few people have reviewed and said I should write a book. But I am not into that. The experience of this journey was just phenomenal. I said to myself, why should I wait until I retire and do something like this and do it now. I was 29 at the time I took off, so I called it an early sabbatical. I had my trusty sextant and a well found "beefed up" boat. I always had crew, one extra person, as I am not into going solo. Yep, some modifications were necessary before crossing all that water. My longest passage was from Acapulco, Mexico to the Marquesses Islands, which took 34 days.

Here are two photos that I scanned, just to prove I was the crazy person that sailed her to Australia

Tony Benado
    Previous Owner of the "little red boat" that could. In Tahiti, this is what Uhuru was called.
    Last edited by Bill; 12-06-2004 at 09:23 AM.

TAHITI

UHURU in Tahiti
    Attached Images  

TAHITI PARTY

UHURU having a partry with Tahiti locals, etc.
    Attached Images  

That's fantastic! The 'littleLady' isn't sold on the idea but I am. We've often wondered about, and would love to read about, how the little red boat got down under.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G
    would love to read about, how the little red boat got down under.
    We are negotiating with Tony on that possibility.

Wink off shore interest ?????

I too would be very interested in more pictures and stories about UHURU"s adventure...namely most memorable stops..best scenary..sail combination to conditions ( that many nm"s..you have to experiment LOTS ) and heavy weather tactics etc. I must say that I am confused by nearly every ones fasination with taking an ariel off shore.....and wether or not they ARE capable.........THEY ARE !!!!look at the similarities to a contessa 26 (folk boat) They have been sailed around the world twice by kids !! (ok..REAL young adults 18-19 ) AND an 50 something grand mother !!Very similar numbers and NO bridge deck!! The famous and highly praised pacific seacraft 25..... An ariel has a 30% BETTER "comfort motion factor " AND BETTER capsize screening ratio !!! Add NO bridge deck on the pc25 (real low companion way ) Add WAY less sail erea ( check the phrf-- 50 plus more seconds to the nm on thr pc25 ) an ariel should be both faster AND more comfortable...safer too!! Thank you Carl !! Come on guys ...these ARE great AND capable boats. After relatively minor interior changes (copying sirroco"s ice box arrangement) I will be off to the Bahamas...with NO concerns about the boats capability. Keep the off shore Pics coming....more cruise stories too Frank#50

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    UHURU having a partry with Tahiti locals, etc.
    Man look at all those people aboard!

Interesting coincidence

In another thread Eric posted;

"[size=3]starcrest was on the same dock as uhuru in the early 1980s.I knew tony b from just a few docks down.there was also a guy named dennis,(lived on some type of glass over wood hard chined boat)whose mother later purchased an ariel....[/size]
    [size=3] I was informed that dennis was lost---possible drowned ---fell overboard during some sort of illness.then on the same dock there was a guy named 'DJ' john overocker----lived on a converted life boat called chivas regal.all at ventura west marina,d dock.....[/size][size=3] ."[/size]
    Pretty cool huh? [size=1](Uhuru and Starcrest in the same marina... not the part about the other guy)[/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread